Hawes Maximum Length

SamRo replied on 31/05/2024 19:15

Posted on 31/05/2024 19:15

Hi, I tried to book a site but my van is 20 cm over the "8m50cm limit". Called site as required and told that 8.5 m is max. Odd used the site twice last year etc. In fact parked next to a much larger motorhome on second visit, one of several but not really jealous.... Before I start the discussion with the head sheds does anyone have the email or 'phone number of the area manager that covers Hawes site? It appears that Club Policy is being briefed wrongly, yes Club Policy, I had this at Rowntree last year. Thank you in advance. Happy hols.cool

mickysf replied on 31/05/2024 21:12

Posted on 31/05/2024 21:12

The issue of maximum length is a difficult one. There may be the odd pitches on a site which can take that larger unit but until specific pitches are part of a dynamic booking process then how can this be managed? Once that maximum number of larger units have booked on a site then those pitches have gone, full stop!

SamRo replied on 01/06/2024 07:03

Posted on 01/06/2024 07:03

I agree entirely and the solution at Rowntree is pitch management by the site team.  It works so why is this not policy on all sites?  Interestingly enough CAMC Site Ops informed me that a standard CAMC pitch is 9m x 9m (assume excluding rear overhang and allowing a further 50 cm at front) implying that management is needed on all those that aren't. 

This pitch management solution means that members with caravans over the prescribed limit should call before booking so that markers can be placed on the larger pitches for the required nights.  If there are no pitches available then do not book.  If you don't do this before booking and arrival you run the risk of being turned away, fair enough.  An easier solution would be to incorporate individual vehicle length in the booking process software.

This pitch management upsets some members who have a small vehicle and want a large pitch so that they can spread out.  

As was the case when dealing with Rowntree I will roughly measure all the pitches at Hawes and then ask the Regional Manager for the site specific risk assessment that mitigates risk with the length of 8.5m.  I doubt that such an in depth assessment exists on this or any other CAMC site?  Finally I will ask that a list/spreadsheet of all CAMC site maximum lengths is published on the website for quick reference in order to save members from planning a booking only to find that their vehicle will not be accepted.  (If it exists I have not yet found it on this site).

All the best.

eurortraveller replied on 01/06/2024 07:41

Posted on 01/06/2024 07:41

Samro, I am afraid I have no sympathy with your situation at all - nor for strong arming tne regional manager to get your own way.

We would all like bigger pitches with space to spread but I have been tne little chap with the little caravan who been directed into the little spaces. And paid the same. Raise an eyebrow and ask why? Oh we are saving that for the rich guy who is coming along later with a vehicle the size of a politicians battle bus. We save the biggest and best for him. We call it pitch management.

Pitch management sucks.

Tinwheeler replied on 01/06/2024 09:51

Posted on 01/06/2024 09:51

All members are equal in camc but some seem to want special treatment. Buy a huge unit and you’re bound to encounter problems I’m afraid. I very much doubt if anyone here has contact details for regional management. Contacting HQ is the way to go, Samro.

Cornersteady replied on 01/06/2024 10:36

Posted on 01/06/2024 10:36

As been posted before when this has been discussed it's not just the size of the pitches but the approach not only to that pitch but the whole site that also may count. With a narrow site road it may not be possible for a large vehicle to safety turn in or reverse in to a pitch, so when your roughly measuring all the pitches you might want to think about that?

And while really I don't know what roughly measuring entails but from past posts people don't like people coming onto and around their pitch?

Maximum lengths are given on each site's webpage:  :

each caravan site details page now shows the maximum length of outfit that can be accommodated on that site.  

Also when booking you are requested to input your outfit's length and if it exceeds the max site length you can't book:

If your outfit exceeds the specified maximum outfit length for the site, we will not be able to confirm your booking via the contact centre or website. Please call the site directly to discuss your needs with the warden.

If you do not tell the warden about an oversized outfit in advance of arrival, the Club cannot be held responsible if your outfit cannot be accommodated at your chosen site.

So in my opinion a spreadsheet showing max lengths is just not needed. 

As said if one decides to buy a large MH/outfit then there might be problems with certain sites, but it's your problem and not the club's in my view. The club is clearly displaying it's maximum length.

Takethedogalong replied on 01/06/2024 11:06

Posted on 01/06/2024 11:06

From memory, I am certain there are pitches well able to accommodate very long MHs at Hawes, thinking of those facing the dog walking field along one side. Don’t think the approach is hard either, but it might be the area outside reception and leading around the site that could be the issue?

As the owner of a small MH, we would not accept being shoehorned into a tiny pitch at YRP based purely on our size, so happy to stay with the current status quo. (Have no issue with helping those with specific disability requirements get an easier pitch). Some Club Sites can easily accommodate very large outfits, Exeter being a case in point. You have to accept the limitations of your chosen outfit and where you want to tour, be it on the road, or choosing sites🤷‍♀️

Cornersteady replied on 01/06/2024 11:37

Posted on 01/06/2024 11:37

...but the approach not only to that pitch but the whole site that also may count.

Sorry that didn't read well, I meant the approach to the pitch from anywhere within the site, not the approach from outside the site. 

SamRo replied on 03/06/2024 13:29

Posted on 03/06/2024 13:29

Thank you for your interesting takes.  Love them all and wish I was rich and had not had to spend a couple of years rebuilding a written off 2008 model so that I could carry on with the hobby.  Happy hols and again thank you.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook