Half term & empty pitches

mbee1 replied on 03/06/2023 15:33

Posted on 03/06/2023 15:33

Just had a few days at Chatsworth which is a regular half term site.  I’ve never known so many free pitches including super pitches.  It was full over the bank holiday weekend but no more than two thirds full the rest of the week.  I’ve never known this happen before.  I suspect lots of people are tightening belts and it is an expensive site.  Anyone else been away this half term and noticed a difference?

Cornersteady replied on 03/06/2023 16:18

Posted on 03/06/2023 16:18

Nothing different here at Melrose, site has full or very close to it but the only children are English due to not being half term here

nelliethehooker replied on 03/06/2023 22:00

Posted on 03/06/2023 22:00

Had a walk around the CC's Blackmore site today, a Saturday during a school holiday week, and the site is just about 1/3 full, 70 units including seasonals, on a site of 206 pitches. This compares to the C&CC's site next door which has around  100 units on a site of 190 pitches, so 50 %+ full. Could this be because the CC site is so much more expensive?

Twos more then one replied on 04/06/2023 12:28

Posted on 04/06/2023 12:28

We have gone to Chatsworth many times, ands getting in was not normally a problem, and excluding the weekend there was always empty pitchs 

Luckyskip replied on 04/06/2023 15:53

Posted on 04/06/2023 15:53

I was at Chatsworth around this time last year, I believe it was about £28 per night, It has gone up in price this year by more than 100%, no wonder there are empty pitches!

I have defected to the other club this year, I have always stayed at Malvern Hills site on the way down south & again on the return journey however, that was £23 last year per night but that is now over £30 per night, again there were many empty pitches, I wonder why! I stayed this time at the C&CC site next door & with my over 60s discount only paid  £24.70 & if I had pitched on the grass I could have saved another 30% - why would I use  the CC site again ? 

EmilyAndBeccasMum replied on 04/06/2023 16:28

Posted on 04/06/2023 16:28

Looking at the prices of  cc sites this half term, we decided to head to France for a week , the cost of the ferry off set with the out of season site fees in France plus the bonus of swimming pools made it an easy decision. 
I’m a proud member of the club but with the prices at the moment, sadly sites are an expensive treat for the odd weekend away. 

eurortraveller replied on 04/06/2023 17:29

Posted on 04/06/2023 17:29

The options for younger people are so wide and it’s no wonder they aren’t looking at UK campsites. A 50 year old in the family earns a good amount but wouldn’t think of tying up money in a caravan or motorhome so has just flown out  for a few days in Dubrovnik.-  £160 return with British Airways - which compares with £240 return on a train when she comes here. Caravanning is dying and doomed in her opinion and the empty pitches on sites are starting to reveal it.

nelliethehooker replied on 04/06/2023 21:22

Posted on 04/06/2023 15:53 by Luckyskip

I was at Chatsworth around this time last year, I believe it was about £28 per night, It has gone up in price this year by more than 100%, no wonder there are empty pitches!

I have defected to the other club this year, I have always stayed at Malvern Hills site on the way down south & again on the return journey however, that was £23 last year per night but that is now over £30 per night, again there were many empty pitches, I wonder why! I stayed this time at the C&CC site next door & with my over 60s discount only paid  £24.70 & if I had pitched on the grass I could have saved another 30% - why would I use  the CC site again ? 

Posted on 04/06/2023 21:22

Similar to ourselves, LS. I have just done a comparison between the two sites for 3 nights next weekend, and for the two of us, pensioners, the costs came out at £66:30 on the  C&CC site compared to £93:90 for the CC. Quite a difference!

vbfg replied on 05/06/2023 08:36

Posted on 05/06/2023 08:36

It is expensive, £34.00 just for one person as at yesterday morning, however, the new booking site with deposits only started around September last year so perhaps some pitches may still be booked but not cancelled nor used, by previous, speculative bookers.  That may have stopped other people who wanted to stay there from booking there, so they would have booked elsewhere instead.

I do think as well, that the Club have shot themsleves in the foot, as many people may not have been happy about deposits but would have accepted them, but they are very, very unhappy about the new booking website and the numerous problems that it has had, so pitches may be empty for a number of reasons.

young thomas replied on 05/06/2023 09:09

Posted on 05/06/2023 08:36 by vbfg

It is expensive, £34.00 just for one person as at yesterday morning, however, the new booking site with deposits only started around September last year so perhaps some pitches may still be booked but not cancelled nor used, by previous, speculative bookers.  That may have stopped other people who wanted to stay there from booking there, so they would have booked elsewhere instead.

I do think as well, that the Club have shot themsleves in the foot, as many people may not have been happy about deposits but would have accepted them, but they are very, very unhappy about the new booking website and the numerous problems that it has had, so pitches may be empty for a number of reasons.

Posted on 05/06/2023 09:09

I think you're right...for some customers they see this as the perfect storm... club prices rising, feeling the pinch at home, deposits to be found, far poorer cancellation terms, and a strange booking system that still has enough problems to catch out the less familiar users.

however, the latest magazine reports that everything is wonderful, quoting meaningless numbers about nights booked/sold but discussion on real world reaction to to prices, the terms and the vagaries of the new system don't get a mention.

as others have said, the club are really only looking at bookings....but these aren't sales and can still be cancelled. The jungle drums seem to reporting that actual numbers of bums on seats, even through these popular times, haven't been good.

Obviously the club is watching this too a discount schemes have been hastily rolled out to try and entice customers onto pitches...but has the stable door already closed, even for previously loyal customers?

mbee1 replied on 05/06/2023 10:34

Posted on 05/06/2023 10:34

My wife and I have discussed options other than club sites and, whilst we will remain members, we have decided that we will look at the other club and commercial sites in 2024 for holidays.

We go regularly to Chatsworth as it's one of our nearest sites and it's a break away from home.  I must admit we've never not got a pitch even at short notice but the number of empty pitches in a half term holiday was particularly noticeable.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook