Grid reference for sites

wh1nbrew replied on 05/08/2023 21:00

Posted on 05/08/2023 21:00

I invariably refer to an OS map before booking a site, mainly because I want to minimise use of the car once there to go out walking or cycling, but also to decide / confirm for ourselves what route is the most sensible to get there. 

So, a plea to whoever sorts out instructions for the sites - please can we have the OS GB 6 figure reference for the site entrance (not the centre of the site as occasionally a site is surrounded by roads) and for anyone who wants to put into their satnav, the lat & long in suitable units.  It isn't often the site entrance isn't obvious on a map, but it does happen. Thanks

peedee replied on 06/08/2023 07:33

Posted on 06/08/2023 07:33

Can you use what3words with sat navs? On this subject, has anyone managed to download the Club's latest POIs and open them with Exel. You don't seem to be able to do this any more? There also aren't any available for TomTom.

peedee

wellum1959 replied on 06/08/2023 08:17

Posted on 06/08/2023 07:33 by peedee

Can you use what3words with sat navs? On this subject, has anyone managed to download the Club's latest POIs and open them with Exel. You don't seem to be able to do this any more? There also aren't any available for TomTom.

peedee

Posted on 06/08/2023 08:17

Yes it is possible, I use the W3W app to send a saved point from my phone to my Garmin sat nav using bluetooth.

When pressing 'navigate' on the W3W app, it comes up as an option to send to Garmin Drivesmart.

young thomas replied on 06/08/2023 09:11

Posted on 06/08/2023 09:11

You can easily browse google maps to see the entrance to a site or aire (useful anyway to get the feel of the place) then I just visualise this and use my finger to 'navigate to a point on map' on my TomTom.

in fact it's even easier as I have the TomTom MyDrive app and I touch the destination on there and then add any waypoints to keep me on any specific route.

once complete I can send the route, with said waypoints, to the TomTom.

no need to type coordinates or words or anything else....

nor do I end up in the wrong hemisphere due to incorrect typing😉

peedee replied on 06/08/2023 09:18

Posted on 06/08/2023 08:17 by wellum1959

Yes it is possible, I use the W3W app to send a saved point from my phone to my Garmin sat nav using bluetooth.

When pressing 'navigate' on the W3W app, it comes up as an option to send to Garmin Drivesmart.

Posted on 06/08/2023 09:18

Thanks.

peedee

SteveL replied on 06/08/2023 13:32

Posted on 06/08/2023 13:32

Personally I am not bothered about having the coordinates published in a guide, or on the web site, as I would want to check them anyway. Errors are often present or they don’t refer to the entrance. Using a combination of Google maps / aerial photos / street view it is easy enough to check on the entrance position, then just touching on it brings up lat and long. Once you’ve checked out the position on Google it’s easy enough to locate on the OS 25000 even if it’s not marked, which it usually is. Like the OP I want to check out accessible footpaths from the site. If your OS maps are digital you can simply put in the post code or nearby village and it will bring up the appropriate sheet.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook