Future of Steamer Quay

peedee replied on 01/09/2022 12:49

Posted on 01/09/2022 12:49

Arising from another thread where the ownership of this site came up, I googled it and look what I came up with;

Click  >here<

peedee

peedee replied on 01/09/2022 13:22

Posted on 01/09/2022 13:20 by Tinwheeler

There you are, the lease will be renewed. Good news.

Posted on 01/09/2022 13:22

But at the loss of another basic site if the Council approve on 15 Sept of what the Club are proposing to do. A search for plans has drawn a blank.

peedee

Tinwheeler replied on 01/09/2022 13:36

Posted on 01/09/2022 13:22 by peedee

But at the loss of another basic site if the Council approve on 15 Sept of what the Club are proposing to do. A search for plans has drawn a blank.

peedee

Posted on 01/09/2022 13:36

Do we know what they plan to do? I’ve not ploughed through all those links but I see an investment of £1m+ and staying open all year. 

peedee replied on 01/09/2022 13:45

Posted on 01/09/2022 13:45

Do we know what they plan to do?

No, I tried searching for plans but nothing has so far come up. I also cannot bring up an agenda for the meeting on the 15th. I assume the Council must have some advanced notice otherwise they would not have provisionally awarded the tender to the Club but it does not yet appear to be in the public domain.

peedee

Tinwheeler replied on 01/09/2022 14:01

Posted on 01/09/2022 13:45 by peedee

Do we know what they plan to do?

No, I tried searching for plans but nothing has so far come up. I also cannot bring up an agenda for the meeting on the 15th. I assume the Council must have some advanced notice otherwise they would not have provisionally awarded the tender to the Club but it does not yet appear to be in the public domain.

peedee

Posted on 01/09/2022 14:01

So it’s supposition that it will no longer be a non-EHU site? At this early stage, we're better to wait and see.

Btw, don't forget that overnighting in MHs is allowed in the public car park just outside the site if basic is what you want.👍🏻

DavidKlyne replied on 01/09/2022 15:30

Posted on 01/09/2022 15:30

Given that the news was only released by the Council two weeks ago its likely that the Club have not had time to submit detailed planning permission. What they want to do with the site could also  change up until depending on that Council decision. 

To me the fact that they are willing to invest so much money would surely mean that the site will have EHU and as it is planned to be open all year no doubt there will be hardstandings? Having never stayed at Steamer Quay I don't know what the toilet block is like but with such a long lease that will no doubt also be refurbished. 

For some there will be an element of disappointment because as has been said it will no long be a less expensive site but of course will appeal to a much wider section of the membership if indeed it becomes a full facility site. 

David

brue replied on 01/09/2022 15:36

Posted on 01/09/2022 15:36

The plans I recently read and commented on concerned renewing the lease for 25years? (I can't verify this just now) as the club wanted to upgrade the site. These plans were no doubt preliminary depending on the length of lease obtained and also allowing for the site to stay open longer etc. Bring on bright lights and music!! frown At present it's in a leafy quiet backwater blending into the local surroundings. CAMC appear to prefer tarmac and gravel so it will be goodbye to a pleasant green space...if the lease renews for the stated years.

It's a very popular site already but as the season progresses bad weather can impede on some of the very large vehicles which now seem to be allowed on site.

brue replied on 01/09/2022 15:46

Posted on 01/09/2022 15:30 by DavidKlyne

Given that the news was only released by the Council two weeks ago its likely that the Club have not had time to submit detailed planning permission. What they want to do with the site could also  change up until depending on that Council decision. 

To me the fact that they are willing to invest so much money would surely mean that the site will have EHU and as it is planned to be open all year no doubt there will be hardstandings? Having never stayed at Steamer Quay I don't know what the toilet block is like but with such a long lease that will no doubt also be refurbished. 

For some there will be an element of disappointment because as has been said it will no long be a less expensive site but of course will appeal to a much wider section of the membership if indeed it becomes a full facility site. 

David

Posted on 01/09/2022 15:46

The renewal details and plans have been in for quite sometime. Some of us have been aware of this and occasional site reviews mention the fact. I'm glad we've made use of the site over the years as it's in such a good spot but we've also enjoyed the ambience which will be lost. No doubt it will be well used due to the location but it will be charmless too, sadly.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook