Exeter Racecourse-Seasonal

Tinwheeler replied on 29/11/2021 21:37

Posted on 29/11/2021 21:37

It depends what you like. The main part of the site near the facility block can suffer from traffic noise as the racecourse is adjacent to the A38. There is, though, a quieter more secluded part of the site which is almost self contained but is quite a hike from the facility block. Check out the downloadable site plan but it could be pointless unless you know where the seasonal pitches are. It wouldn’t be the first time the site has had unwelcome visitors from a nearby 'camp' which might not be ideal if your van is left unattended on a seasonal pitch.

I suggest, too, you check the Exeter Racecourse website to see when race days are and whether events, both private and public (noisy) are listed.

Personally, although it’s a non-facility site, I much prefer the Stover site just a few miles down the road. It’s quieter with easier access and, to my mind, more pleasant in general than Exeter with Stover Country Park next door. 

Look out for posts from Takethedogalong who has used Exeter Racecourse site several times and for Jolly Kernow who was warden there at one time.

Allie007 replied on 29/11/2021 21:44

Posted on 29/11/2021 21:44

Thank you. Have been trying to find a seasonal in the Devon area and I'm not having much luck. Plymouth Sound has availability I see but am thinking thats just a little bit too far away and the Illfracombe site looks too remote. Have been ringing around so many sites this weekend.

Tinwheeler replied on 29/11/2021 21:54

Posted on 29/11/2021 21:54

Plymouth Sound and Modbury both have narrow lanes for access and they are quite a drag for you. Putts Corner is a decent site - I don’t know what the availability is there.

Edit: Have you considered Ilminster in Somerset? It’s not far from the Devon border.

Tinwheeler replied on 29/11/2021 21:57

Posted on 29/11/2021 21:57

That’s a nuisance. See my edit above.

Perhaps others will have a different view of Exeter than I.

SeasideBill replied on 29/11/2021 22:03

Posted on 29/11/2021 22:03

Absolutely no reason not to stay.  I’ve used it many times and wouldn’t hesitate to return. If you look at the reviews nobody is bothered by noise, maybe a bit of background traffic noise but certainly not intrusive. Easy access, good location for touring East & South Devon, acres of space and great value (not sure about seasonal charges?) compared to most other CMC sites. Shower block is functional rather than luxurious. Shop within walking distance in adjacent service area, bus stops nearby to Exeter & Chudleigh and beyond. Ground can be quite soft in heavy rain. 

brue replied on 29/11/2021 22:25

Posted on 29/11/2021 22:25

If it was me I'd go for Plymouth Sound, it has a nice beach just down the road and a seaside cafe, the village has a pub and shop and there's plenty to do in Plymouth for a nine year old. We've chatted with seasonal pitch owners there and there is a nice community of returners. It's another hour on from Exeter but a different world! 

Takethedogalong replied on 29/11/2021 23:04

Posted on 29/11/2021 23:04

Hello😁 We love Exeter Racecourse. We got chatting to a few seasonals who stay regular at Exeter, and it is actually somewhere we love. Tinwheeler has outlined some of the drawbacks, and I wouldn’t disagree with any of them, but the lovely little area set back from the main site is much quieter, and there are certainly seasonal pitches in there, as we were pitched up next to two in September. Grass, but it is firm underwheel. It’s a superb location for getting out into lots of different areas, up onto Dartmoor in ten minutes via Bovey Tracey, across to the Exe Estuary and Powderham Castle, into Exeter itself, down towards Torbay area, or right on the doorstep, the Haldon Forest Centre, which is great for children. You can walk and cycle around the site, and there are lots of birds and deer to watch. 
We haven’t been to Stover, but it’s only 20 minutes further down the A38, so either of these sites would get a thumbs up from us for a seasonal pitch. You do have Trago Mills on your doorstep at Stover. 

Only negative I would say about Exeter is that it is extremely high up, so when it rains, boy does it rain. Good luck finding somewhere👍 Be aware it is some seven miles or so into Exeter itself.

allanandjean replied on 29/11/2021 23:19

Posted on 29/11/2021 23:19

Hi, Not used the racecourse site but have used Webbers Park at Woodbury, albeit some time ago, on a few occasions.

My wife spent a considerable time in hospital in Exeter and their tow on/off service was perfect for my planned, and short notice unplanned, stays. Link below.

https://webberspark.co.uk/storage.html

RedKite replied on 30/11/2021 09:03

Posted on 30/11/2021 09:03

Hi, we have stayed at Exeter in the past and no issues as we had a dog at the time a lot of walks about, a friend of ours goes every year as he says it is cheaper than a lot of sites as he is on his own and he is booked up for early July as there is a classic car event on at Powderham which he enjoys a real petrol head, it does have basic facilities but Plymouth and Ilfracombe do not something to bear in mind and as folk have said can be noisy on race days and events. Hope you can find somewhere soon.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook