Enclosed pitch’s

Jane n replied on 19/02/2024 13:26

Posted on 19/02/2024 13:26

Hi can anybody recommend any sites that have enclosed pitch’s ( fab idea when travelling with multiple dogs) thank you ☺️ 

JillwithaJay replied on 21/02/2024 16:03

Posted on 21/02/2024 16:03

I don't think I've ever seen a site with 'enclosed pitches'; just hedges on three sides but open at the front.  Have you got anything in the way of 'wire mesh dog fencing' or windbreaks that would work?  The picture shows a Jormax set up which, I should add, is not mine as we don't have dogs.

Bakers2 replied on 21/02/2024 17:17

Posted on 21/02/2024 17:17

A fully enclosed pitch wouldn't allow access/exit 😉.

We saw one of these in use on a club site, they were asked to remove it. I believe dogs should be tethered or on a lead on site. Just incase...

Tinwheeler replied on 21/02/2024 17:41

Posted on 21/02/2024 17:17 by Bakers2

A fully enclosed pitch wouldn't allow access/exit 😉.

We saw one of these in use on a club site, they were asked to remove it. I believe dogs should be tethered or on a lead on site. Just incase...

Posted on 21/02/2024 17:41

Plus it encourages dogs to toilet on the pitch instead of being taken to an appropriate place - off site or the dog walk.

Wherenext replied on 21/02/2024 18:21

Posted on 21/02/2024 18:21

I can't think of a single site, home or abroad, club or non Club, that I've seen a fully enclosed pitch. I've been on pitches in France with hedges on 3 and a half sides but that's the nearest to them.

They would be fire hazards.

If that's your criteria then I think I wold stick to cottage rentals

eyebrowsb replied on 22/02/2024 16:06

Posted on 22/02/2024 16:06

We've seen lots of people on club sites with 'dog enclosures' on their pitches, such as the Jormax one that JWJ suggested.  We've never heard of anyone being asked to remove them.  Maybe it depends upon the individual wardens? 

We don't have "multiple dogs" but can well imagine that they'd end up like a bowl of spaghetti if tethered on the pitch!

JollyKernow replied on 22/02/2024 17:46

Posted on 22/02/2024 17:46

Dog enclosures aren't a problem on our sites as long as the fire separation to the next pitch is adhered to. Saying that, even with that type of enclosure the dogs should still be tethered while inside it. An untethered dog is an out of control dog no matter how cute and cuddly and friendly they may be. I've been bitten a few times while doing this job even by an escaped dog from an enclosure. 

JK

GTP replied on 23/02/2024 09:46

Posted on 22/02/2024 17:46 by JollyKernow

Dog enclosures aren't a problem on our sites as long as the fire separation to the next pitch is adhered to. Saying that, even with that type of enclosure the dogs should still be tethered while inside it. An untethered dog is an out of control dog no matter how cute and cuddly and friendly they may be. I've been bitten a few times while doing this job even by an escaped dog from an enclosure. 

JK

Posted on 23/02/2024 09:46

JK....Similar but not bitten....happened to me at Southport a couple of years ago. (I believe I posted then about the problem)... 3 Dogs in an enclosed wire fencing...off lead. 2 dogs jumped over fence and continued to do 'their leg up' on a couple of A frame covers...including mine..When spoke with owner of dogs I just received a load of abuse and some very threatening behaviour . I quite understood why the SM did not wish to intervene..

Also recently (Mid Jan) at Castleton...Motorhome pulls up on pitch next to us, erects wire enclosed fence, right up to the grass separation between us) and lets a couple of dogs, off lead run around...and more worryingly do all their business on the pitch. Again, unfortunately for what ever reason, the SM's declined to intervene...

I can only see more and more of these fences being erected as no one from the club is addressing the issue...."Once you start the hare running"..

Takethedogalong replied on 23/02/2024 10:02

Posted on 23/02/2024 10:02

There’s a very real general issue at the moment around certain people who have taken on dog ownership, and this extends into taking them away on holiday. We have holidayed with two, three dogs most of our lives, never needed to enclose them, never leave them tied up outside unattended, never had any complaints about their behaviour. 

Our favourite Cornish CL, (sadly no longer open) used to have two practically enclosed pitches. The only open bit was just wide enough to drive through and pitch up, huge pitches, you could swing right round with our little van on, pitch however you liked. Cornish hedge walls, fabulous in Spring Summer with wildflowers. JK, you might recall the name if you looked after Marazion? Farm up the lane called Kestal? 

mickysf replied on 23/02/2024 10:53

Posted on 23/02/2024 09:46 by GTP

JK....Similar but not bitten....happened to me at Southport a couple of years ago. (I believe I posted then about the problem)... 3 Dogs in an enclosed wire fencing...off lead. 2 dogs jumped over fence and continued to do 'their leg up' on a couple of A frame covers...including mine..When spoke with owner of dogs I just received a load of abuse and some very threatening behaviour . I quite understood why the SM did not wish to intervene..

Also recently (Mid Jan) at Castleton...Motorhome pulls up on pitch next to us, erects wire enclosed fence, right up to the grass separation between us) and lets a couple of dogs, off lead run around...and more worryingly do all their business on the pitch. Again, unfortunately for what ever reason, the SM's declined to intervene...

I can only see more and more of these fences being erected as no one from the club is addressing the issue...."Once you start the hare running"..

Posted on 23/02/2024 10:53

Similar experiences, I’ve been bitten by a stranger’s dog off a lead, the owner preferred to call it a friendly nip. On annother occasion our dog,  on a lead,  was viciously attacked and bitten by an again untethered dog. He needed vet attention, the owner paid the bills and was mortified, they didn’t believe their friendly dog was capable of the likes. Neither of the above on a site.

However, we had a neighbour arrive on site and erect a dog compound which included the pitch and much of the grass finger between us and them. Just two dogs but all that dogs do was done inside that compound. Wouldn’t wish for a young family to occupy it after this.

i will add that most dog owners we have met are understanding, competent and socially aware.

Arch replied on 23/02/2024 11:36

Posted on 23/02/2024 11:36

For the life of me I cannot understand why the club allows these enclosures I've never seen the dogs on a lead in them they run loose doing their business the owners give no thought to their neighbours or the next occupants of the pitch, the club should put an end to this practice now, I'm seeing increasing numbers of these enclosures on sites and avoid pitching next one.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook