Empty Serviced Pitches

dustymil59 replied on 04/05/2023 17:15

Posted on 04/05/2023 17:15

We're currently on a 10 night stay on a club, members only site, when we booked we wanted a service pitch but two nights (Saturdays) of our stay were unavailable so we booked a standard pitch. The large majority of  the service pitches here have stood empty apart from the weekends, meaning that the club are losing out on the extra revenue that people like us would have provided, it's bloody frustrating. Surely a minimum stay would prevent this. Once set up, I didn't fancy moving twice!

replied on 04/05/2023 17:29

Posted on 04/05/2023 17:29

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Tinwheeler replied on 04/05/2023 17:47

Posted on 04/05/2023 17:47

All campers have equal chance to book for as many or as few nights as they want, subject to the overall allowable max length of stay. There’s not even any compulsion to hook up to the services on a service pitch just as it's not compulsory to erect an awning on an awning pitch.

Introduce minimum night stays and it’ll be the thin end of the wedge as it can be very restricting - like C&CC. Remember that whilst a minimum stay might give an advantage to some, like you DM59, it will disadvantage others.

DavidKlyne replied on 04/05/2023 20:29

Posted on 04/05/2023 20:29

The Club have always worked on the basis that every member has an equal chance of booking pitches. There could still be a bit of  a hangover from the time when many members booked  a serviced pitch to make sure they got a hardstanding, obviously not necessary now with the new booking system. Also whilst people may not hook up to the services that doesn't mean they don't appreciate water and waste being close at hand to save going to a service point. Agree with TW that it would be a retrograde step to introduce minimum lengths of stay. I don't know how long ago you booked your pitch but if it is important to get a serviced pitch perhaps you need to book earlier if that is possible? 

David

Cornersteady replied on 04/05/2023 20:46

Posted on 04/05/2023 17:47 by Tinwheeler

All campers have equal chance to book for as many or as few nights as they want, subject to the overall allowable max length of stay. There’s not even any compulsion to hook up to the services on a service pitch just as it's not compulsory to erect an awning on an awning pitch.

Introduce minimum night stays and it’ll be the thin end of the wedge as it can be very restricting - like C&CC. Remember that whilst a minimum stay might give an advantage to some, like you DM59, it will disadvantage others.

Posted on 04/05/2023 20:46

+1 

brue replied on 05/05/2023 08:11

Posted on 04/05/2023 20:29 by DavidKlyne

The Club have always worked on the basis that every member has an equal chance of booking pitches. There could still be a bit of  a hangover from the time when many members booked  a serviced pitch to make sure they got a hardstanding, obviously not necessary now with the new booking system. Also whilst people may not hook up to the services that doesn't mean they don't appreciate water and waste being close at hand to save going to a service point. Agree with TW that it would be a retrograde step to introduce minimum lengths of stay. I don't know how long ago you booked your pitch but if it is important to get a serviced pitch perhaps you need to book earlier if that is possible? 

David

Posted on 05/05/2023 08:11

Possibly the pitches were booked last year when the last non deposit bookings went through. I can't remember the cut off point but the deposit system will probably ease the situation although booking early is still the best option.

Quite a few non CAMC sites use minimum stays but that doesn't help people who need stop overs and short breaks. So the OP's suggestion won't help all site users.

Tinwheeler replied on 05/05/2023 15:40

Posted on 05/05/2023 15:40

"Just book as early as you can."

That’s the way to do it and it disadvantages nobody 👍🏻

Cornersteady replied on 05/05/2023 16:31

Posted on 05/05/2023 16:31

Saturday night is usually bound to be busier than any other and while it looks as if everyone is just booking one one night I would think that is not the case.

There will be those starting those holidays, having perhaps worked the Friday, and then leaving the following Saturday or Sunday or making a long weekend, and of course those wanting a weekend away book weekends, either way Saturday will be busy.

There have been numerous threads about weekend booking 'stopping' others, not true of course any more than long stayers stopping weekenders, but maybe it's because people are working during the week and want weekends. Contrary to popular belief the club isn't all retired folk.

To do as the OP suggests will disadvantage those who book weekends. Why should they be? we all pay the same membership fee so first come first served is the best way.

And of course it's not certain that the club is losing money as it's not certain if there are enough people going to come during the working week to offset any losses if changes were made?

Not shooting anyone down btw, just a different viewpoint.

Graydjames replied on 05/05/2023 16:44

Posted on 05/05/2023 16:44

The OP wrote:

The large majority of the service pitches here have stood empty apart from the weekends, meaning that the club are losing out on the extra revenue that people like us would have provided

This is a pretty bold assumption. You have not considered the loss of revenue from those who would have booked for the weekend, but now won't because of the minimum stay. Taking White Water as an example I can see that a ten day stay starting tonight on a serviced pitch would be £290.60. A two night stay for Friday and Saturday would be £63.40. You only need to lose five of those weekend bookings to exceed the extra revenue from your ten might stay. Moreover, this ignores those weekenders who might have stayed Sunday as well (but the relevance of that then depends on how many nights your minimum stay is), plus there are bound to be some odd shorter bookings for the week nights. Of course, I realise there could be more than one multi-night, late booking that is otherwise lost than just your own because of weekenders having taken pitches, but even so, it seems to me very doubtful that there would be any loss of income with the status quo. If rather than not book at all, you, and any of the others like you, merely drop to a non-serviced pitch, a loss of revenue is highly unlikely.

As others have said, you need to book early; or you can look daily for cancelations which is what I tend to do a lot. It is really surprising how often things change, especially near to the required dates.  

Late edit: Written before seeing Corners' post. Also, I just realised those figures are for one person only, but the principle remains.  

Cornersteady replied on 05/05/2023 16:54

Posted on 05/05/2023 16:44 by Graydjames

The OP wrote:

The large majority of the service pitches here have stood empty apart from the weekends, meaning that the club are losing out on the extra revenue that people like us would have provided

This is a pretty bold assumption. You have not considered the loss of revenue from those who would have booked for the weekend, but now won't because of the minimum stay. Taking White Water as an example I can see that a ten day stay starting tonight on a serviced pitch would be £290.60. A two night stay for Friday and Saturday would be £63.40. You only need to lose five of those weekend bookings to exceed the extra revenue from your ten might stay. Moreover, this ignores those weekenders who might have stayed Sunday as well (but the relevance of that then depends on how many nights your minimum stay is), plus there are bound to be some odd shorter bookings for the week nights. Of course, I realise there could be more than one multi-night, late booking that is otherwise lost than just your own because of weekenders having taken pitches, but even so, it seems to me very doubtful that there would be any loss of income with the status quo. If rather than not book at all, you, and any of the others like you, merely drop to a non-serviced pitch, a loss of revenue is highly unlikely.

As others have said, you need to book early; or you can look daily for cancelations which is what I tend to do a lot. It is really surprising how often things change, especially near to the required dates.  

Late edit: Written before seeing Corners' post. Also, I just realised those figures are for one person only, but the principle remains.  

Posted on 05/05/2023 16:54

And yours was more detailed anyway GJ smile

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook