Electric cable unwind

ww123 replied on 03/08/2021 13:57

Posted on 03/08/2021 13:57

Hi to all, could I just bring up the point about fire hazards on site regarding the unwinding of your electric cable.

If you have to park a certain distance from each caravan for fire regs then would it be a good idea for all wardens on site to tell you when you arrive that electric cable must be fully unwound as this is a fire hazard.

My friend was on a site recently when a caravan next to them had a fire which started at an unwound cable, the caravan was destroyed as was the awning and the car.

This surely has got to be addressed by the wardens on site as a lot don't seem to unwind it, they seem to think well it wont/never happened to me, but you should never say never.

Whittakerr replied on 03/08/2021 14:17

Posted on 03/08/2021 14:17

This has been discussed before but it is always good to remind people, especially with the large number of new and inexperienced LV users over the last 18 months.

TJ49 replied on 03/08/2021 20:15

Posted on 03/08/2021 20:15

I assume it happens when people keep the cable coiled on one of those nice little orange drum thingys and only unwind enough to reach the bollard.

Most people do unwind all the cable and lay it out neatly on the ground.

Perhaps WE should be good neighbours and inform those we see not doing it correctly of the possible risks.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook