Easter 2023

mbee1 replied on 06/04/2022 08:50

Posted on 06/04/2022 08:50

Logged into the site at 7.15am as I was working from home and had it running in the background.  65th in the queue and booked a service pitch for two weeks at Easter next week.  Did baulk a little at the price of £750 for two of us and may amend it nearer the time.  Cheaper to have a hotel in Spain I would imagine! 

JollyKernow replied on 08/04/2022 09:43

Posted on 07/04/2022 20:19 by Cornersteady

I can perfectly understand why stay in one place for a good length of time. I've often even seen motorhomes do it. 

On our long distance travels in the summer holidays in the past it would be about 17 days in one place, it would be our home from home and gave us plenty of time to completely explore the area and spend time relaxing as well.  Same for holiday cottages which is usually two weeks for us. 

PS am I the only one who thought we'd have deposits by now?

Posted on 08/04/2022 09:43

Morning

I've heard nothing regarding deposits CS. I'm sort of glad as before we know it the summer season will be here. Implementing and learning a big thing when the sites are full, that'll be funundecided Who knows?

We're down to 10 spaces now for Easter, all of a sudden bookings are flying!

JK

Takethedogalong replied on 08/04/2022 09:54

Posted on 08/04/2022 09:54

We have done both the moving on, and staying in one spot holidays. Both have suited us at the time. All depends on individual choice, which is a good thing.👍 

I have recently found a bit out about a piece of my favourite history that is located somewhere very non touristy, and am hankering to go and have a look. All sorts of things have us choosing locations😁

Cornersteady replied on 08/04/2022 09:54

Posted on 08/04/2022 09:43 by JollyKernow

Morning

I've heard nothing regarding deposits CS. I'm sort of glad as before we know it the summer season will be here. Implementing and learning a big thing when the sites are full, that'll be funundecided Who knows?

We're down to 10 spaces now for Easter, all of a sudden bookings are flying!

JK

Posted on 08/04/2022 09:54

Thanks for the reply JK, I thought they were coming in this month? Perhaps that was a dream, or a nightmaresmile

Deposits will only apply from when the new UK booking experience is launched (sometime in 2022)

Sorry for going off topic

Dawn F replied on 08/04/2022 13:34

Posted on 08/04/2022 13:34

With the increasing costs of living, fuel, food and site fees it amazes me that people are still looking to book two weeks at Easter for £750.00!

I have started looking at reducing our costs not increasing them

What is the next couple of years going to bring if things don't change, I don't see any of the prices we have seen rise coming back down

Takethedogalong replied on 08/04/2022 14:34

Posted on 08/04/2022 14:34

We learned long ago that life is about value for money. If you value something enough, and it works for you, then it’s quite surprising how much some folks will pay for something. It’s just individual choice. Likewise, if it isn’t valuable enough, just walk away and find whatever else makes you happy.

Its tough though when things of value start to become out of economic reach. That’s the hard bit. It needs a philosophical approach to adapting and compromising😁

mbee1 replied on 08/04/2022 14:49

Posted on 08/04/2022 14:49

We're fortunate in that we both still work and can afford it.  When we retire we will have to think about how we spend our money.

mbee1 replied on 08/04/2022 15:04

Posted on 07/04/2022 19:54 by moulesy

"I have no idea why you keep perpetuating this line JVB. 

I can assure you that the majority of pensioners that I know, including yours truly, know exactly what the prices and costs of today are. We only have to see the virtually non existent returns on savings and the extra amount going out for energy, fuel, council tax, etc. etc. to know that our purchasing power is diminishing. Believe me there is no denial going on just astonishment at how high some of the increases are."

Yes, agree with that 100%! I guess, compared to many pensioners, most on here, us included, are reasonably comfortable and could, if we wished, afford the prices mentioned. But, although there are obvious plusses to being pitched up next door to one of the most beautiful estates and houses in the country, those fees seem to be milking things. But folk will pay them because of the situation and many of the alternatives in the area cost at least that much - just try to find a cottage in Baslow at Easter! surprised

TG, I can fully understand why some folk want to spend 2 weeks or more in the same spot, especially with the cost of petrol/diesel these days,  but not at this particular site especially as I seem to remember the OP telling us in the past that they spend several weekends there too!

Posted on 08/04/2022 15:04

Yes we do spend several weekends there every year. It's an escape for us and, despite being 20 miles from home, we're in another world.  We don't tend to go in the summer and, this year, we chose to go to Castleton for the Jubilee weekend.  We've never stayed there before but often visit Castleton from when we stay at Chatsworth or on a day out from home.  

Whilst we're both working we can afford it but will have to take stock of the situation when either one of us or both retire which will come within the next few years.

Why wouldn't anyone want to stay at Chatsworth for two weeks? It's such great walking country. You could go on a different walk each day if you were so inclined. Bakewell, Ashbourne, Castleton are all within easy reach for a wander around the shops and something to eat.

As I said in a previous post, we go for relaxation and we don't do very much at all some days.  We read a lot, have the TV and the dog.  It's a great 4G signal and i sometimes I'll hook my work laptop up and deal with a few emails. Have a walk around the park to Baslow for a coffee or over to the stable block. 

Can't wait until next week!

moulesy replied on 08/04/2022 18:14

Posted on 08/04/2022 18:14

"Why wouldn't anyone want to stay at Chatsworth for two weeks? It's such great walking country. You could go on a different walk each day if you were so inclined. Bakewell, Ashbourne, Castleton are all within easy reach for a wander around the shops and something to eat."

Don't get me wrong,  mbee, we love the Peak District and visit most years - we'll be up in a farm cottage just down the road from one of our all time favourite places and pubs - The Packhorse at Little Longstone - in 3 weeks time. We've stayed at Chatsworth 3 times, I think, and it's a lovely spot, ideal for walking into the estate and visiting the house. But my point is that you have to drive just about anywhere to find an alternative to the estate. In our vanning days we found some great CLs in the area where you could literally walk in a different direction each day. But even then, a week in one place would be enough for us. Cirencester Park was our "go to" sites when we were working - great for weekends, but we wouldn't spend a fortnight there. But it clearly works for you, so fair play to you!  smile

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook