Double trouble?

Melrose69 replied on 30/04/2022 21:15

Posted on 30/04/2022 21:15

We have a swb pop top campervan.

We're considering getting a 2 berth caravan so we can have more space and kids can sleep in the van.

What are the rules about having campervan and caravan on the same pitch? They take up same room as car/caravan and we'd pay for each person staying.

Are we likely to run into trouble with that set up? Other cheaper option is a big awning but it has obvious limitations as far as winter use.

Any advice/clarity on what's allowed would be greatly appreciated. 

Takethedogalong replied on 30/04/2022 21:27

Posted on 30/04/2022 21:27

I would check things out re the Club before committing to buying anything. They might consider that a camper van, and a caravan, both used for sleeping, might constitute two outfits, in which case, that’s two pitches. All depends if you want to hook up both outfits as well of course, for heating, etc….it’s usually one hook up per pitch.

If the Club says it’s ok, only one pitch required, get it in writing, then you can show this to Site staff, and ward off any busybody neighbours who might feel the need to comment or complain. Good luck, hope the Club is accommodating.

SteveL replied on 30/04/2022 21:27

Posted on 30/04/2022 21:27

I think the issue would be if both the caravan and camper had gas systems for heating / cooking. There is supposed to be 6 metres between such units on adjacent pitches, whilst only 3 metres is required from an awning to something on the next pitch. Therefore if you put your camper in the area normally used for an awning it could well compromise the required fire break.

Tinwheeler replied on 30/04/2022 21:31

Posted on 30/04/2022 21:31

I know we have a member who does exactly that, Melrose, but I remember there being a fair bit of 'discussion' with head office before they eventually agreed the arrangement was acceptable whereas they’d previously insisted on two pitches being used. I can’t recall all the details.

Therefore, what you propose is possible but I suggest you contact the club and obtain written confirmation which you can then produce should there be any dispute on site.

eurortraveller replied on 01/05/2022 09:56

Posted on 01/05/2022 09:56

You will find fewer such rules and regulations if you venture away from Club sites. 

replied on 01/05/2022 11:14

Posted on 01/05/2022 09:56 by eurortraveller

You will find fewer such rules and regulations if you venture away from Club sites. 

Posted on 01/05/2022 11:14

The user and all related content has been deleted
near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook