Devon/Cornwall sites with good road access

SPR1968 replied on 02/07/2022 08:27

Posted on 02/07/2022 08:27

Hi Guys

I’m relatively new to towing but have a fairly large rig, a big Range Rover tow car and 8ft wide 27ft long Bailey Alicanto caravan on the back. 

I’m spent my childhood in Devon on holidays and want to go there, or Cornwall, but am very wary about the narrow roads and there is no way I feel comfortable taking my outfit down there   I did it with a small caravan 20 years ago but that was tiny!

Has anyone been to sites which are located just off major roads with easy access ?

Tinwheeler replied on 02/07/2022 08:51

Posted on 02/07/2022 08:51

You are right to be wary. In terms of club sites, Carnon Downs near Truro has good access right off the main road and Godrevy Park at Hayle is doable - check Google Earth.  In Devon, Stover non facility site is similarly positioned just off a good road.

That's off the top of my head and there will be others.

allanandjean replied on 02/07/2022 08:53

Posted on 02/07/2022 08:53

Hi SPR, Yes, seen lots!
What I don’t know however, is how you define a major road or what your requirements are for the site itself??

If you look along the A30 corridor there are quite a few sites that may suit you.

I suggest thinking where you’ll like to be based then have a look on Google maps and, if not clear, Streetview to see if the access is acceptable to you.

Then it’s a question of will any shortlisted sites be willing to take a van of your size and that raises the question of when as peak season will likely come with much less choice.

Goog luck, and maybe comeback with more info which will help people make suggestions.

brue replied on 02/07/2022 09:14

Posted on 02/07/2022 09:14

Carnon Downs as mentioned is probably one of the best for access both on and off site, the access roads on site are level and spacious. Hillhead is good on approach but the site is up hill and down dale! I think if you can pinpoint an area and find a site a call in advance might help. Some A roads are quite narrow. Exeter race course site would offer a good stop over.

eurortraveller replied on 02/07/2022 09:18

Posted on 02/07/2022 09:18

Inland sites in Devon accessible from the A 30 dual carriageway are easy enough to get to.

Woodland Springs is close to the A30 from Whiddon Down on the northern edge of Dartmoor - adults only and well recommended - a smart and well presented site 

Lydford Camping is a short drive down the A386 from the A 30 near Okehampton -handily placed in the village with two  two pubs, a National Trust  site and access to the western side of the moor. An affiliated campsite but it didn’t strike me as nice a site as the one before.

But an old favourite of ours,  a few miles further down the A386 is Harford  Bridge on the northern edge of Tavistock - perhaps the nicest market town in Devon - though Totnes runs it close. A pitch on the river bank itself might be possible 

Coastal sites are harder. And Cornwall gets tricky !

Takethedogalong replied on 02/07/2022 10:34

Posted on 02/07/2022 10:34

Don’t dismiss Exeter Racecourse, it’s a smashing site with two very different pitching areas, and takes the largest of outfits. The heathland pitching area is lovely, grass, but very firm even after rain. It’s ideally placed to see some very interesting places, 10 minutes up onto Dartmoor and all that wonderful place can offer, half an hour round to Exe Estuary and then all down the Devon Riviera Coast, Exeter itself for history and some nice shopping, gorgeous towns like Tavistock, Totnes, NT properties like Buckland Abbey, Killerton, Cotehele, not far away. Stover is similar, a bit further South with Trago Mills on your doorstep. Both sites are good places just to chill out as well. OK, you get a bit of road noise, but choose your pitch wisely and it’s no worse than many other Sites. It’s an easy, interesting hour  to Cornwall from there, so again day out territory. If the weather is good, wild swimming spots abound on Dartmoor, some very well known such as Spitchwick, Dartmeet, Bellever. 

We used to overnight at Exeter, then onwards as many do. But we realised just what a fantastic location it is in its own right, and have thoroughly enjoyed much longer holiday stays there and never got bored. 

SPR1968 replied on 03/07/2022 06:30

Posted on 03/07/2022 06:30

Thanks for all the ideas locations and tips guys, it’s very helpful, and some of the locations look perfect.

Its made me realise I might actually be able to go down there! Lol

If anyone has any more, keep them coming.

richardandros replied on 03/07/2022 07:20

Posted on 03/07/2022 07:20

We are in the same situation as you - with a VW Touareg and 8' wide Knaus Starclass - and I'm careful where we go. I'm not complaining - we absolutely love the van and it suits us to the extent that, at the moment, I would be reluctant to have anything smaller. We were supposed to be going to the C&CC site at Dartmouth, this year but although I know the road into Dartmouth very well, just thought it was a step too far with our van.

Instead we went to the Charmouth C&CC site which is just off the A35 and on the Devon / Dorset border and other than a single tight bit coming around Axminster, is OK to get to.  Bit out on a limb, though - but the site itself is beautiful.

We have also been to Carnon Downs  and that is another one with easy access.

Tinwheeler replied on 04/07/2022 20:31

Posted on 04/07/2022 20:21 by Frank Gill

Hillhead, Brixham. Looe, Merrose Farm.

Posted on 04/07/2022 20:31

Frank, I really wouldn’t recommend Looe or Merrose to the OP given the comments he made. I know it’s not an issue for you with your experience🙂

flatcoat replied on 05/07/2022 07:28

Posted on 05/07/2022 07:28

How about Ross Park? However we drive past Merrose every year on our way to Tretham Mill and I am struggling to work out what the problem is. I can accept that getting into Tretham might not be for the faint hearted but plenty do go with their 8’0” outfits. However for the OP one of the best pieces of advice I had when I started was from an HGV driver trainer. He said ‘own the road’, don’t rush but be confident and be careful. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook