Cycling Godrevy Marazion St Agnes Exmoor House

FreshAir4Us replied on 27/05/2022 15:28

Posted on 27/05/2022 15:28

I am planning a trip to include Godrevy,Marazion, StAgnes Beacon and Exmoor House. Does anyone know please whether traffic free cycling is possible direct from any of those sites? I am guessing not from St Agnes and  wondering whether we can access the beach from Godrevy and cycle along the hard sand by the sea to St Ives?  Many thanks

Tinwheeler replied on 27/05/2022 15:43

Posted on 27/05/2022 15:43

It’s not on to either cycle or walk across the beach from Godrevy/Gwithian to St Ives. Firstly, access from the site to the beach is by a choice of several steep paths or steps some of which will be very difficult to manoeuvre a bike down. Secondly, the sand is soft other than at the tide line and I don't think even that would be usable. Thirdly, the river Hayle estuary needs to be crossed. See map below.

As far as I am aware there is no traffic free cycling from any of those Cornish sites but check out online maps.

eurortraveller replied on 27/05/2022 17:57

Posted on 27/05/2022 17:57

There are miles of off road cycle trails in Cornwall and Devon -for instance  the Camel  Trail and the Mineral Tramways in Cornwall, the Tarka Trail, the Granite Way, and the  Plym Valley Trail in Devon. But I’m afraid your choice of caravan sites doesn’t match them very well. There are other sites which you might find more suitable by being closer to the cycle paths.

brue replied on 27/05/2022 18:09

Posted on 27/05/2022 18:09

Exmoor House is very limited due to sharing narrow roads with vehicles. St Agnes has similar problems. You might be better as suggested looking for sites with access to the Camel Trail (Bodmin area to Padstow) or the Tarka Trail N Devon, the other good one runs from Portreath across to Devoran, you could access that with care from St Agnes but the best access is from the Carnon Downs site or nearby CLs.

FreshAir4Us replied on 27/05/2022 19:26

Posted on 27/05/2022 19:26

Thankyou. - looks like we may be best taking surf boards instead of bikes this time round! 

nelliethehooker replied on 27/05/2022 19:51

Posted on 27/05/2022 19:51

There are a few routes that you can do off road from St Agnes but you would need a mountain or grit bike to do them. I've ridden along the cliff tops and down to Chapel Porth, for an ice cream, and bridalways and byways from there to Porth Towan. There is also a bridalway up over the Beacon.

ADP1963 replied on 27/05/2022 19:57

Posted on 27/05/2022 19:57

We used to stay at Tintagel and transport the bikes on the car to Wadebridge where we then used the Camel Trail to Padstow. Done it many times and never got fed up with that ride, scenery and wildlife. We did purchase Jelly Saddles after the first rideyell those railway cobbles are something else.

eurortraveller replied on 27/05/2022 20:04

Posted on 27/05/2022 19:26 by FreshAir4Us

Thankyou. - looks like we may be best taking surf boards instead of bikes this time round! 

Posted on 27/05/2022 20:04

It doesn’t sound as though you want to change your bookings, but If there are other cyclists coming this way I can suggest campsites close to the trails I mentioned earlier, and close to the Tamar Valley cycle trails too - but for best location close to the cycle paths they will all be independent sites, not Club or CL. 

Tinwheeler replied on 27/05/2022 20:24

Posted on 27/05/2022 19:26 by FreshAir4Us

Posted on 27/05/2022 20:24

Definitely! 👍🏻🏄🏻‍♂️

Wherenext replied on 27/05/2022 20:25

Posted on 27/05/2022 20:25

You can certainly use the CL, The Barton at Weare Gifford, near Bideford to access the Tarka Trail. We did. Ashbury CP in Okehampton is a CL that you will get access to The Granite Way. Again we did.

You can also use Riverside Caravan Park AS site in Plymouth for the Drake Trail. 

Don't know about the ones in Cornwall.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook