Chatsworth Site closing 2026?

nelliethehooker replied on 22/06/2023 20:19

Posted on 22/06/2023 20:19

I have come across this post on another forum, so am just putting on here to see if anyone can confirm or discount it's veracity.

"Just seen this on Caravan Group on FaceBook very sad if true"

'Husband just been chatting to warden at Castleton site and they said that the Chatsworth CMC site is to close in 2026!! ??- love this place not far from home.
Chatsworth estate want it for a car park.'

DavidKlyne replied on 22/06/2023 20:38

Posted on 22/06/2023 20:38

I also saw that on a Facebook Group today as well and I am pretty sure the rumour has appeared prior to today as well. I think we have to accept that any Club site held on a lease is not secure unless the Club can negotiate a renewal which from recent experience seems increasingly difficult. Whether the Club would want to comment so far ahead of a potential change of status I don't know, we would perhaps have to ask Rowena to check for us.. Chatsworth apparently have a planning application to build a new car park and entrance near something called the "Golden Gates" which is near a roundabout so quite what they would use the campsite for if they took it back under their control is anyone' guess. Perhaps they want to follow what happened at Blenheim and fill it with Holiday Villa's. Hasn't the Chatsworth/Devonshire Estate come under new "management" in recent years so they may have very different ideas of what that Walled Garden could be used for in order to boost estate coffers? 

David

Takethedogalong replied on 23/06/2023 10:01

Posted on 23/06/2023 10:01

The Golden Gates are off the big roundabout just prior to driving into Baslow, coming in from Sheffield and M1. They were (are?) used to get traffic in on the big events like the Horse Trials and Game Fair. It’s packed to the gunnels is parking at these events. It used to be you were charged a fee per car, regardless of number of occupants, but many years ago, this changed to fee per person. Devonshire Estates know a thing or two about maximising income on their assets, so the economics will have been fine tooth combed. Shame for Members and the Club, it’s been a favourite of many for a long time. Devonshire Estates own Bolton Abbey as well. The village is a real bottleneck on event days, far worse than half a dozen outfits queuing to get in. It’s bad at the other end of the Estate as well. Won’t be locals complaining though, Devonshire’s own everything around there.

KieranBSMM replied on 28/06/2023 10:52

Posted on 28/06/2023 10:52

Hi All,

The Club’s current lease for Chatsworth Club campsite is due for renewal in a few years time. As is usual practice in such circumstances, the Club is in ongoing discussions with the Estate in regard to future opportunities and will keep members informed accordingly once an outcome has been identified. In the meantime, Chatsworth Park Club Campsite will be continuing operations as normal, with no risk to existing or available future bookings, and the site team look forward to welcoming members and campsite visitors.

Bluepops replied on 01/07/2023 21:54

Posted on 01/07/2023 21:54

Hope this is wrong as it is one of our favourite sites, but I have noticed the prices have increased dramatically, wonder if this is the start of recouping money spent on site resources prior to the site closure 

sincerely hope not

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook