Caravan and Motorhome club route planner- useless!

DaveandBecci replied on 17/04/2023 08:46

Posted on 17/04/2023 08:46

All, be aware that the route planner on the Caravan and Motorhome Club website is unlikely to get you to your pitch!

I typed in Middlesbrough to Carsington Water (lovely site btw) and the route planner takes you to a local farm - disappointed that the club arent doing more to check that their own club sites are correctly located on their route planner. Doubly disappointed that they havent even confirmed that the routes provided are suitable for caravan towing - see the disclaimer on the planner - frankly, what is the point of providing a route for club members if you dont know that they can use it?

So to summarise, the route provided takes me to the wrong place and potentially along roads and tracks I can't tow my caravan on - what is the point?

Anyone else having issues with this?

Tinwheeler replied on 17/04/2023 09:00

Posted on 17/04/2023 09:00

It’s only a commercial route planner. I can’t imagine CAMC programming their own, can you really? However, that is why CAMC provide final approach instructions on the web pages and in the handbook and tell you to use them.

brue replied on 17/04/2023 09:03

Posted on 17/04/2023 09:03

I've always found it useful although not for the final directions where the club instructions need to be followed. I only use the actual mapping as a guide for the route and timing so don't expect total accuracy.

SteveL replied on 17/04/2023 09:34

Posted on 17/04/2023 09:34

Can’t say I have ever used it. Just checked and it looks as though they just use post code for location. If you put the one for the site into Google Maps (rather than the CC route planning version) it takes you to the same location. Just using a post code is risky as they often cover large areas.

I always start with locating the site entrance  on Google maps and see what route is suggested. Then using street view check out any possible problem areas and wether the final approach conforms to the CC instructions. I them replicate the route in the MH sat nav, using way points where necessary to force it along the right route. My sat nav does recognise the vans dimensions, so often no fine tuning is required.

EmilysDad replied on 17/04/2023 10:21

Posted on 17/04/2023 09:03 by brue

I've always found it useful although not for the final directions where the club instructions need to be followed. I only use the actual mapping as a guide for the route and timing so don't expect total accuracy.

Posted on 17/04/2023 10:21

...  where the club instructions need to be followed.

Need or suggested? 😉

SteveL replied on 17/04/2023 10:41

Posted on 17/04/2023 10:41

You certainly wouldn’t have wanted to follow them to one site we visited back when we first had a Caravan. The safe route took you the wrong way along a recently created one way street.😂 

Graydjames replied on 17/04/2023 11:19

Posted on 17/04/2023 10:21 by EmilysDad

...  where the club instructions need to be followed.

Need or suggested? 😉

Posted on 17/04/2023 11:19

Need, I would say. I always follow them.  

replied on 17/04/2023 12:36

Posted on 17/04/2023 12:36

The user and all related content has been Deleted User
near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook