Can I move a booking?

wedgy replied on 12/02/2023 16:50

Posted on 12/02/2023 16:50

If I move a booking from one site to another for exactly the same dates will I loose my deposit or will it just move over to the new sit booking ? 

SteveL replied on 12/02/2023 16:59

Posted on 12/02/2023 16:59

As I understand it, if for exactly the same dates you don’t loose your deposit. Although I suppose if the new site is more expensive an additional payment to bring the deposit up to 20% might be required. 

from the booking experience web page:-

Want to change campsite while on holiday? If it’s for the same dates, that’s fine, you won't lose your deposit.

wedgy replied on 12/02/2023 17:20

Posted on 12/02/2023 17:20

Thanks for the info and as you say it's movable without penalty if for the same dates,the only " problem " being the move can only be done via the call centre, unless that facility has been updated recently ??

cyberyacht replied on 13/02/2023 08:41

Posted on 13/02/2023 08:41

So the "move without penalty" doesn't enable you to shift dates, only location. I would imagine that the majority of requirements to alter a booking would be to change dates rather than location so, for the most part, deposits, it would seem, are "non-refundable". Have I misunderstood?

SteveL replied on 13/02/2023 09:34

Posted on 13/02/2023 08:41 by cyberyacht

So the "move without penalty" doesn't enable you to shift dates, only location. I would imagine that the majority of requirements to alter a booking would be to change dates rather than location so, for the most part, deposits, it would seem, are "non-refundable". Have I misunderstood?

Posted on 13/02/2023 09:34

No you have not misunderstood. 
There wouldn’t really be much point in deposits if you could just decide not to go 3 days before and re-book for dates several weeks hence. However, there are probably quite a few who would like perhaps to stay on the site they are on rather than move and that is possible without penalty. We have certainly done that within the 72 hours under the old system without reprimand.

wedgy replied on 13/02/2023 10:17

Posted on 13/02/2023 10:17

The main purpose of deposits is to enhance to company profits even though they say its a non profit "club" and please dont tell me its what we all asked for ! There is no sensible argument why adjusting dates on a current booking should involve a financial penalty i.e. on a 4 night stay change the arrival from the 1st of the month to the 2nd and forfeit the deposit allocated to the 1st even though still paying for 4 nights. 

Tinwheeler replied on 13/02/2023 10:30

Posted on 13/02/2023 10:17 by wedgy

The main purpose of deposits is to enhance to company profits even though they say its a non profit "club" and please dont tell me its what we all asked for ! There is no sensible argument why adjusting dates on a current booking should involve a financial penalty i.e. on a 4 night stay change the arrival from the 1st of the month to the 2nd and forfeit the deposit allocated to the 1st even though still paying for 4 nights. 

Posted on 13/02/2023 10:30

I disagree on a couple of points. Firstly, club 'profits' are ploughed back into the sites network. There are no shareholders to pay so there's no point in amassing profits.

Secondly, there is every point in not transferring a deposit to a booking amended to different dates. The original booking was for set dates and if you alter those dates, whether by 1 day or 3 months the original booking contract is broken. If alteration by a couple of days is allowed, why not alteration by a couple of months? You can see where it leads. It is a deposit for set dates and the answer is to not amend those dates within 21 days of arrival. 

SteveL replied on 13/02/2023 10:36

Posted on 13/02/2023 10:17 by wedgy

Posted on 13/02/2023 10:36

I much preferred the old system. However, we are stuck with what we have. Whilst I agree that minor changes, like you highlight, should be permitted, how far would that be allowed to go. Would you think moving Friday - Monday to Tuesday - Friday OK, if done only a few days before. There is clearly scope for misusing the system if excessive latitude is allowed. Even with deposits and the 21 day cut off the CAMC has some of the best T&C’s going. It’s just a shame they aren’t a little clearer.

replied on 13/02/2023 10:46

Posted on 13/02/2023 10:46

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

eurortraveller replied on 13/02/2023 10:50

Posted on 13/02/2023 10:50

The old system was crazy - members were booking something or anything,  then changing the dates, or changing the site, or changing their minds, or going somewhere else, or looking at the weather forecast and staying at home. The new system is a gentle nudge to persuade members to get it right first time.

replied on 13/02/2023 11:01

Posted on 13/02/2023 10:50 by eurortraveller

The old system was crazy - members were booking something or anything,  then changing the dates, or changing the site, or changing their minds, or going somewhere else, or looking at the weather forecast and staying at home. The new system is a gentle nudge to persuade members to get it right first time.

Posted on 13/02/2023 11:01

The user and all related content has been Deleted User
near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook