Calmac price rise

DavidKlyne replied on 16/12/2021 12:31

Posted on 16/12/2021 12:31

Bad news for visitors, especially motorhomers. However if the scheme was introduced as a means of local residents getting cheaper transport it does seem a bit daft to extend it to all comers?  It seems that during COVID Scotland and the Islands have had far higher number of visitors than there are facilities to cope with them. Cheaper ferry fares will just make matters worse? Earlier this year we went to the IOW and the ferry cost £155. I am not sure how that compares with undiscounted fares in Scotland?

David

brue replied on 16/12/2021 13:11

Posted on 16/12/2021 13:11

Short island hops in Scotland are relatively cheap David, so the IOW is expensive. If I recall islanders get two free trips a year on the ferries. I think IOW residents get a subsidy for their mainland trips. Not sure how it all works out but it sounds as though it's going to be quite expensive in Scotland for motorhomers visiting islands.

JVB66 replied on 16/12/2021 13:22

Posted on 16/12/2021 13:22

My brother lives on the IOW and says the "cheaper?" journey that they get is not with it a some trips from  the mainland are bettersurprised

risottoanchipz replied on 17/12/2021 16:40

Posted on 17/12/2021 16:40

Hi, Brue, just to clarify, on CalMac routes, islanders who are bus pass holders or hold a Young Scot Card get 2 free passenger return journeys a year. Not sure if this extends to Orkney and Shetland.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook