Bookings

Steven1690 replied on 30/10/2022 19:27

Posted on 30/10/2022 19:27

Hello All 

I was a member when we first got our van but never used our membership as I found it difficult to get a pitch on the dates I wanted, despite trying to book weeks and sometimes months in advance. I learnt that this was due to what was called speculative bookings where folk would book months in advance and because there was not a deposit taken could then cancel the ones they didn't need. 

I want to stay a member and get the best out of my membership but I've just tried to book a couple of nights in late December early January near Gretna/Carlisle and the majority of the club sites are full. Really?

I'm also finding the website a bit difficult to navigate around and book something, whatever's left that is.

Can someone help with advice on booking?

many thanks

Steven

Cornersteady replied on 30/10/2022 19:34

Posted on 30/10/2022 19:34

If you give the names of the sites it might help? Are you sure the sites are open?

Yes the new booking system is proving difficult to use, though not impossible, Have you looked on the training videos? 

Tinwheeler replied on 30/10/2022 19:41

Posted on 30/10/2022 19:41

If you’re looking at the Englethwaite Hall clubsite near Carlisle, it closes for the winter on 7 Nov so would show as not available for the time you want.

Around Christmas and New Year those sites that are open tend to fill up quickly for the holiday period. 

Dawn F replied on 30/10/2022 19:49

Posted on 30/10/2022 19:49

I think the club has far too many members for the number of pitches it has available

People have never been able to book multiple sites and then choose which one they want closer to the date so that is a myth, also I think the number of no shows has always been low it is just an excuse the club has used to justify changing the booking system and taking deposits

The new booking system is easy to use but availability is still an issue due to over subscription 

The price increases have become unrealistic most sites are now over £25.00 per night even in the low season and many are £40.00 in high season 

Shame as the sites have always been nice but the club has outpriced us and we have decided not to renew this year 

eurortraveller replied on 31/10/2022 10:00

Posted on 30/10/2022 19:27 by Steven1690

Hello All

I was a member when we first got our van but never used our membership as I found it difficult to get a pitch on the dates I wanted, despite trying to book weeks and sometimes months in advance. I learnt that this was due to what was called speculative bookings where folk would book months in advance and because there was not a deposit taken could then cancel the ones they didn't need. 

I want to stay a member and get the best out of my membership but I've just tried to book a couple of nights in late December early January near Gretna/Carlisle and the majority of the club sites are full. Really?

I'm also finding the website a bit difficult to navigate around and book something, whatever's left that is.

Can someone help with advice on booking?

many thanks

Steven

Posted on 31/10/2022 10:00

Steven, Try Braids Caravan Park at Gretna instead - open all year and well regarded.

peedee replied on 31/10/2022 10:13

Posted on 31/10/2022 10:13

The new booking system is easy to use but availability is still an issue due to over subscription. 

Some would not agree with you that the new booking system is easy to use. Like you I have not found it difficult, different yes and it just needs a bit of effort to become familiar with it.  Availability and how to find it seems to be a problem for many. I think we will have to wait and see if it still remains a problem not solved by the introduction of deposits and the cost of living crisis and whether the Club believe it is worth introducing application changes to further highlight availability.

peedee

JVB66 replied on 31/10/2022 11:00

Posted on 31/10/2022 11:00

The amount of times members post on here and other websites as to why some sites show full when actually they are closed, 

I sent an email and spoke to people. at EGH about just that subject and it "would be taken up with the department concerned?" 

I pointed out that it should show as closed with maybe  the dates of opening in place of showing full ,

But it has it seems been too complicated to implement 

Graydjames replied on 31/10/2022 13:01

Posted on 30/10/2022 19:49 by Dawn F

I think the club has far too many members for the number of pitches it has available

People have never been able to book multiple sites and then choose which one they want closer to the date so that is a myth, also I think the number of no shows has always been low it is just an excuse the club has used to justify changing the booking system and taking deposits

The new booking system is easy to use but availability is still an issue due to over subscription 

The price increases have become unrealistic most sites are now over £25.00 per night even in the low season and many are £40.00 in high season 

Shame as the sites have always been nice but the club has outpriced us and we have decided not to renew this year 

Posted on 31/10/2022 13:01

There cannot be a myth about something that is known to be impossible. Instead, the "myth", in this case, is the belief, widely held, that people were booking sites well ahead, willy-nilly, with the intention that they might, or might not, take them up, resulting in many late cancellations (or, worse, no-shows) and the difficulty some members had in getting bookings - as the OP has suggested. 

Nor is it about no-shows. I agree that these numbers will be low - though they undoubtedly exist. The problem is people who cancel late, but, usually, before the old 72-hour deadline. Possibly when you referred to no-shows, you meant late cancellations as well. Do you really think these were low also? I seriously doubt it - though, of course, that depends on how you define "low". 

I don't know how extensive these kinds of issues were for the club, but common sense tells us it must go on when the booking conditions were so relaxed. I certainly do not think it can be labelled as a myth. Indeed, people annoyed at the new regime have often and openly referred to the former, relaxed conditions that enabled them to easily cancel late in the day. It might be for very good reasons, but that doesn't change the impact on the club. That is why the club has changed the booking conditions and to claim that these are excuses for change is, in my view, unfair. 

I have not heard the proposition that there are too many members for the pitches available before. Possibly in the summer season it has some truth. Paradoxically, of course, if it is true, then it goes some way towards explaining why site fees are high. The club seems to have little trouble selling the pitches, so people like the product. If too many people are chasing too few pitches, prices inevitably rise. You can argue that pricing decisions are in the gift of the club, rather than merely the forces of supply and demand, but no business is going to ignore these pressures. The problem, as with any business, is that increasing supply requires big hikes in costs and that has to be recovered. Lowering prices only exacerbates the problem of finding a booking and it prevents any chance of solving the problem by increasing supply.

I fear your post provides your own answer. You cannot solve your opening problem, if problem it is, without substantial resources; in turn, that means maintaining a price level that is reacting properly to demand and supply. 

KjellNN replied on 31/10/2022 14:16

Posted on 30/10/2022 19:41 by Tinwheeler

If you’re looking at the Englethwaite Hall clubsite near Carlisle, it closes for the winter on 7 Nov so would show as not available for the time you want.

Around Christmas and New Year those sites that are open tend to fill up quickly for the holiday period. 

Posted on 31/10/2022 14:16

Are there any other Club sites near Gretna/Carlisle?

Tinwheeler replied on 31/10/2022 14:20

Posted on 31/10/2022 14:16 by KjellNN

Are there any other Club sites near Gretna/Carlisle?

Posted on 31/10/2022 14:20

Don’t think so but it’s more your area than mine.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook