Bins on site.

Kennine replied on 13/03/2014 12:32

Posted on 13/03/2014 12:32

While more and more camping sites are changing to the large wheelie bins and recycle bins and siting them well away from their pitches, The CC seem to want to stick to having the rubbish bins dotted about their sites adjacent to water points next to pitches.

Will the CC be changing their policy on where the bins are situated, the reason I am asking is that overflowing small bins, which happens sometimes, attracts vermin.

K

ColinMorgan1959 replied on 13/06/2024 15:39

Posted on 13/06/2024 15:39

They already have, we are staying in White Water C&M Club Site. The site is lovely and the wardens couldn’t be more friendly. We came back the other day to find the bins area closed off near us, I’m told others dotted around the site are too. All of us now have to walk down to the site entrance to dispose of not only rubbish but also recycling. My wife asked and was told it’s to reduce the env footprint with less plastic bags. I hate it when organisations and individuals hide behind the env banner, when we all know it’s reducing costs. Don’t use plastic bags in refuse bins just let us put our small bags in the bins. Come on please, C&MClub don’t treat all your members like simple folk, don’t forget we pay the membership. Without us, you don’t exist. I didn’t see any pole to ask our opinion, did anyone else? Some sites are big, I’m relatively young, but what about the older members having to walk sometimes some distance? Or, we all stop our car at the exit and cause others to wait while we toddle off to the bins. Very poor customer service, I think.

Railwayman1 replied on 13/06/2024 16:02

Posted on 13/06/2024 16:02

We are currently at Hurn Lane. There are large red dumpster bins here, but they are beside the water taps, so they are convenient. I find them rather heavy to open, especially with my hands full!

DavidKlyne replied on 13/06/2024 16:11

Posted on 13/06/2024 16:11

Colin

Did you realise that you have resurrected a 10 year old thread? It makes Kennine (long disappeared as a poster) some sort of visionary!

This policy has been on some sites for a while now and clearly is being extended to all sites. Surely having waste bins in one place is no more inconvenient than needing to visit reception or the toilet block which could be equally far from some pitches? Many of the bins have actually been sited by toilet blocks. Many familiar with touring abroad will say this system has been in place for the last 30 years so its not unusual and many commercial sites in the UK do the same. Having small bins around the site can be an inefficient way of collection rubbish and recycling as they need frequent emptying. Any saving in cost all goes to keep pitch prices from increasing. BTW I am in my late seventies, walk with a stick, but have no problem getting to the central point. I often found a problem with the small bins as often some members had no idea of what recycling was and also people dropping wine bottles into bins at unsociable hours so there are pros and cons of both systems?

David

DavidKlyne replied on 27/06/2024 09:10

Posted on 27/06/2024 08:54 by AlnShaz67

Have the club actually stated the reasons behind moving to the larger wheeled bins?.

Alan.

Posted on 27/06/2024 09:10

Alan

I think the Club have suggested that there is a massive saving by not using so many plastic bin liners under the old system. There will also be an environmental saving with not using so much plastic. I think sometimes the Club are their own worst enemy by not explaining things in more detail as there must be other benefits (to the Club) beyond plastic bags?

David

eurortraveller replied on 27/06/2024 10:11

Posted on 27/06/2024 08:54 by AlnShaz67

Have the club actually stated the reasons behind moving to the larger wheeled bins?.

Alan.

Posted on 27/06/2024 10:11

Saves time taken by warden to go round collecting rubbish, On some sites might even  save buying / operating / maintaining a mini tractor and trailer too. Allows provision of a bigger range of recycling facilities at a central point.  Puts the midnight bottle crashing well away from the pitches. Altogether more sensible 

Takethedogalong replied on 27/06/2024 11:20

Posted on 27/06/2024 11:20

This is an altogether peculiar thread🤔 Look at the date of the first opening post, actually predates the first big re organisation of CT back in 2016, not only that, but the poster hasn’t been seen on here for a good number of years! Yet it states that there have only been six replies, and all date from the last two weeks.

There is a current thread running somewhere about big bins on sites.🤷‍♀️

peedee replied on 27/06/2024 11:35

Posted on 27/06/2024 11:35

Thats because many of the older threads just have the OP's post left, the replies having been deleted. When someone later resounds to one this is what you get

peedee

DavidKlyne replied on 27/06/2024 15:25

Posted on 27/06/2024 15:25

In addition to what Peedee has written I think if someone tries to start a thread where the title of their new thread is the same as an existing thread its automatically added to the old thread. Given that it is the replies to threads that provide the answers to questions it is surprising that the interesting parts of the old threads have been deleted. I suspect what happened was that it was an attempt at tidying up the forum after a few years by deleting old replies but really someone needed to go back an delete the original posts and I don't quite understand why that has not happened?

David

AlnShaz67 replied on 27/06/2024 17:11

Posted on 27/06/2024 17:11

I have read the other posts but which one do you reply to?. There’s a lot of assumptions or speculations from members as to the reason for the changes but I see nothing coming directly form the club,unless I’ve missed something. I’ve been on three sites this year so far with both the old and new system of recycling in place   And on the site we’re on now the new system comes into play on the 1st of July. As David has said in a different thread on the same subject,recycling this way has taken place on European sites for many years. If it’s a financial reason for change then what are the savings and what impact will that have on site/Membership fees.None I suspect.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook