Bank Holiday cash in.

PJMEG replied on 14/01/2023 23:21

Posted on 14/01/2023 23:21

Having looked for a weekend get away in May we have noticed that at many sites local to us that the club seems to be cashing in on the extended Royal Bank holiday  this is probably nationwide.

We feel that this is unacceptable as the prices jump just for the four days of the extended holiday period, due to the Royal connections in the past and the support I think that this seems very unfair to long time members to have pay extra for a celebration weekend away.

This is more typical of the large commercial holiday organisations not the caravan club, yes we know the prices rise and fall with the seasons but this one just stands out more than most.

Before it is stated we know it is our choice whether we go or not any on given trip whatever the cost.

SteveL replied on 15/01/2023 00:02

Posted on 15/01/2023 00:02

Seems reasonable enough to me. Stop thinking of the CC as a club, it’s a commercial organisation. However, the profits are at least used to fund future purchases and upgrades, rather than paid to shareholders. If you booked early, before the coronation date was known the club have held their prices.

PJMEG replied on 15/01/2023 00:11

Posted on 15/01/2023 00:02 by SteveL

Seems reasonable enough to me. Stop thinking of the CC as a club, it’s a commercial organisation. However, the profits are at least used to fund future purchases and upgrades, rather than paid to shareholders. If you booked early, before the coronation date was known the club have held their prices.

Posted on 15/01/2023 00:11

I agree the funds are used to update etc but do four days make that much difference. 

It is not always so easy to book in advance with work/family to consider.

When I say commercial sites I mean the big named ones like Ha__n and P__k res__ts those kind of sites I think you might get the idea.

Tinwheeler replied on 15/01/2023 00:16

Posted on 15/01/2023 00:16

I think even modest holiday businesses will be charging peak fees over that period.

PJMEG replied on 15/01/2023 00:29

Posted on 15/01/2023 00:29

I do feel everyone's entitled to their opinion but how would you feel if the local supermarket or petrol station put its prices up for the four day period.

I think you would be saying something different, we still need to shop.

Just my opinion.

replied on 15/01/2023 09:27

Posted on 15/01/2023 09:27

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

paulmold replied on 15/01/2023 09:42

Posted on 15/01/2023 09:42

I posted on another thread that I recently booked a commercial site for the coronation weekend , 5 days for £95. That price was the same nightly rate as the rest of May and June.

Tinwheeler replied on 15/01/2023 09:43

Posted on 15/01/2023 00:29 by PJMEG

I do feel everyone's entitled to their opinion but how would you feel if the local supermarket or petrol station put its prices up for the four day period.

Just my opinion.

Posted on 15/01/2023 09:43

That is what supermarkets do! I know these days prices go up weekly but did you never notice how in 'ordinary' times they increased prices at Christmas, Easter and peak summer? After the hols the special offers would appear. 

It's not just the leisure industry that raises prices at peak times.

SteveL replied on 15/01/2023 09:49

Posted on 15/01/2023 00:29 by PJMEG

Just my opinion.

Posted on 15/01/2023 09:49

Off topic, but they operate slightly differently. They are quick enough to put their prices up when there is a shortage. Plus of course they pay a lot of suppliers under the odds meaning they are struggling to survive. The CAMC are operating no differently to any other leisure industry supplier. All increase prices at times of high demand. At least the club seem to be holding prices for those that have booked, both for the coronation and other dates. Our bookings for this year are all substantial cheaper than if I was to book them now. Most were made pre deposits but it will clearly encourage future pre booking now deposits are required, which is something the club obviously want.

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 15/01/2023 10:00

Posted on 15/01/2023 09:43 by Tinwheeler

That is what supermarkets do! I know these days prices go up weekly but did you never notice how in 'ordinary' times they increased prices at Christmas, Easter and peak summer? After the hols the special offers would appear. 

It's not just the leisure industry that raises prices at peak times.

Posted on 15/01/2023 10:00

Yup, it’s normal practice, they make their money using those methods. I personally swerve those I think are too expensive(Smkts or CAMC) & choose others. It’s no shocker, it’s in our own hands to rectify it👍🏻. The worst thing imaginable is to complain but continue to support the practice. You effect change by you changing.

Hja replied on 15/01/2023 10:09

Posted on 15/01/2023 10:09

No different to higher prices during the longer school holidays.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook