Baltic wharf access

Railwayman1 replied on 21/08/2021 19:45

Posted on 21/08/2021 19:45

I am booked to arrive at Baltic Wharf shortly. I will be towing a 7m caravan. Please does anyone know if there are still roadworks on Cumberland Rd? Are they likely to cause me a problem? I recall reading sometime ago that turning into the site is problematic. Nothing posted on Baltic Wharf website page.

Thank you for any help or advice.

SeasideBill replied on 21/08/2021 20:44

Posted on 21/08/2021 20:44

From website:

Don’t use sat nav.

The roadworks being carried out on Cumberland Road by the local authority have reduced access and turning space through the roadworks and directly into and out of the site:-
Maximum motorhome length is 8 metres
Maximum length for car and caravan is 12 metres (twin axle caravans will not be able to make the turn)
This is beyond the control of the Club and we are sorry for any disappointment, but please do not book if your total outfit size exceeds these lengths.
From J18 of the M5 follow the A4 Bristol Broadway towards Bristol and Airport, at the roundabout continue to follow the A4 signposted City Centre, Bristol Airport and Park and Ride. Continue on the A4 with the River Avon on your right.

After Clifton Suspension Bridge above you keep in the right hand lane towards A3029 signed Weston S Mare, Airport, Bath and Taunton, stay in the left hand lane where you will cross locks and bridges of the river, the big red brick buildings will be on your left. Keep left and take the left turn signposted Temple Meads (Rail) and Bedminster. Safestore will be on your left, continue to follow this road (A370). Road bears round to the left, petrol station on left and continue to follow road.

At traffic lights ASDA is on your right, continue straight-on staying in the left hand lane. Continue keeping left following signs for SS Great Britain and M Shed (first exit off roundabout) on to Commercial Road. Follow road over bridge and road bears round to left (building site on right) keep following this road until you come to roadworks where we are situated just after the start of traffic lights. Please enter the site with care.

allanandjean replied on 21/08/2021 22:13

Posted on 21/08/2021 22:13

Hi, We stayed there 2 weeks ago, 7.3m van, and so long as you take it slowly you will be OK.

There is a chicane outside the McColls shop and then a final set of lights controlling access to the site.
The L/H lane is closed so it is quite tight but not ridiculously so.

During our 3 day stay we left a number of times, in the car and on foot, and each time saw drivers who had ignored the 10 signs saying the road was closed!

The gates are kept closed and just past them the road is shut leaving these people with nowhere to go so, if the gates are opened to let bona fide visitors in or out, vehicles will enter which was causing the staff problems and I heard one young woman driving a Smart car, pity she wasn’t, asking why the staff had closed the road!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook