Ayr and nearby area

Hillangel2 replied on 05/04/2023 09:50

Posted on 05/04/2023 09:50

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has stayed in or near Ayr, either at the Club site or CL’s. Is it a good area for walking/ garden visiting etc? 
Thank you.

Graydjames replied on 05/04/2023 10:33

Posted on 05/04/2023 10:33

Ayr is one of my favourite sites. 

The Ayr club site is in an urban setting although it is tree lined and it does not feel built up. However, it means that a lot of walking from the site is largely in built up areas, involving pavement walks. Having said that you can walk to the front where there is a nice beach and there are University gardens nearby which are very pleasant; there is a lovely walk alongside the river in the upstream direction which is rural and quite pretty. The river is very close to the site. You can also walk the river downstream to the sea, which is also not unattractive. I walked to the promenade, north of the town, which is not very attractive, it must be said, but which then runs into a golf course with a sea-edge path leading to Prestwick which then provides a delightful walk along the front. This is a much more well-to-do locale.  These are good walks but include some urban, industrialised areas as well as more salubrious parts.   

I have seen very negative reviews of Ayr referring to the nearby housing estate, running behind the racecourse, and untidy "tenements" on the route into town, but this is nonsense. Yes, Ayr is a bit run down, but it is a friendly and benign town which I much like. 

If you are caravanners with a car a short drive up the coast provides wonderful walks from Prestwick to Troon. Alternatively you can get the train to Prestwick or Troon (the station is ten minutes walk from the site). Troon is delightful. I used to cycle there. 

I cannot comment on gardens nor CLs. I am sure others will have lots of ideas.

Takethedogalong replied on 05/04/2023 10:37

Posted on 05/04/2023 10:37

I think the best thing to do might be to Google Ayr, take a look at an online map and see what’s within a travelling distance you fancy. Only you know what sort of walks you want to do, how far, how strenuous etc….

There are places of interest around, Culzean Castle isn’t that far, and Ardrossan for the ferry over to Arran is a short drive up the coast. It’s town based, which some prefer, but there are far nicer places to base oneself for walking and garden visiting, and sure to be CLs and other sites not far away with easier access to good walks, such as Galloway Forest Park, etc…. Hope you get some more responses, someone else might know Ayr better than us😁

DavidKlyne replied on 05/04/2023 16:21

Posted on 05/04/2023 16:21

We stayed at the Ayr Club site last year and found it a pleasant enough campsite. We like sites in towns and cities. There is a short cut into town from the site. Take a left out of the site and across a car park and then down a path to the river. We also walked out to the seaside part of Ayr. The town does have some interesting parts like the St Johns Tower where apparently Mary Queen of Scots stabled her horses! If you have a car available you will have many more opportunities to explore further out. As you walk into town you pass the railway station if you fancied a day trip to Glasgow. 

David

dave the rave replied on 05/04/2023 19:11

Posted on 05/04/2023 10:37 by Takethedogalong

I think the best thing to do might be to Google Ayr, take a look at an online map and see what’s within a travelling distance you fancy. Only you know what sort of walks you want to do, how far, how strenuous etc….

There are places of interest around, Culzean Castle isn’t that far, and Ardrossan for the ferry over to Arran is a short drive up the coast. It’s town based, which some prefer, but there are far nicer places to base oneself for walking and garden visiting, and sure to be CLs and other sites not far away with easier access to good walks, such as Galloway Forest Park, etc…. Hope you get some more responses, someone else might know Ayr better than us😁

Posted on 05/04/2023 19:11

No one has mentioned Dumfries House,owned by King Charles who does a lot for the local community,the gardens are well worth a few hours,Culzean castle is another great day out (already mentioned by others)Ayr itself is not what it used to be and has followed the downward trend common to most large towns,lots of empty shops etc.

nelliethehooker replied on 05/04/2023 20:32

Posted on 05/04/2023 20:32

Dumfries House is a must, and as brue says The Burns Centre and Longhouse are well worth a visit. On the way to Culzean over places worth a visit are the Heads of Ayr and Dunnure where there are walks and ruined castles, and there are walks along the Ayr Gorge.

https://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/reserve/ayr-gorge-woodlands/

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/scotland/east-ayrshire/ayr-gorge-trail

We

Hillangel2 replied on 10/04/2023 08:13

Posted on 10/04/2023 08:13

Thank you all very much. A mine of useful information.

Happy Easter.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook