Althnaharra

Hazel and Mike replied on 06/03/2022 18:44

Posted on 06/03/2022 18:44

Hi there,

Has anyone been to Altnaharra with a twin axle caravan?  Just wondering about the roads leading to the site and if it is feasible to take a twin axle caravan there or not.

The picture looks like there are twin axles on site but we are a bit nervous about the very narrow roads and possibly not many passing places.

Any experiences would be really appreciated.

Many thanks

Hazel

Tinwheeler replied on 06/03/2022 19:51

Posted on 06/03/2022 19:51

You don’t say which way you intend to approach the site or how experienced you are at towing. We did it with our MH from the north coast road and found passing places to be fairly plentiful but I can’t speak for the A836 from the south via Lairg.

You also don’t say how big your van is. TA vans can vary and I’ve known some fairly short TAs and some stonking great huge ones.

Be aware that pitches may not be very level and can get muddy in wet weather.

Check out the size of the warden's RV in this pic but he had a prime pitch location and I don’t know which road he used.

Hja replied on 06/03/2022 20:24

Posted on 06/03/2022 20:24

We towed up from the south - although with a single axel. Just take it slowly - no problem.  We left & went north.

dave the rave replied on 06/03/2022 20:31

Posted on 06/03/2022 19:51 by Tinwheeler

You don’t say which way you intend to approach the site or how experienced you are at towing. We did it with our MH from the north coast road and found passing places to be fairly plentiful but I can’t speak for the A836 from the south via Lairg.

You also don’t say how big your van is. TA vans can vary and I’ve known some fairly short TAs and some stonking great huge ones.

Be aware that pitches may not be very level and can get muddy in wet weather.

Check out the size of the warden's RV in this pic but he had a prime pitch location and I don’t know which road he used.

Posted on 06/03/2022 20:31

There are plenty of passing places on the A836 from Lairg.Mostly you can see oncoming vehicles from a fair distance.Do not worry if you see an oncoming log lorry ,the driver is used to caravanners and will have reversed into a space before you can even stop and engage reverse!!!As Tinwheeler says the pitches are,in the main,not very level.The water tap is up a hill but at least the container will be empty on the way up!(but your cassette will not!!).Be aware of sheep on the road (there are warning signs in English and German ,but not gaelic when I was last there!!)Ducks and sheep wander around the site and you will often see deer across the road on the hillside.Midges (in season )can be a problem in the evening.Enjoy the area.

brue replied on 06/03/2022 20:35

Posted on 06/03/2022 20:35

The Lairg route is OK but roads north of Altnahara are narrower with passing places. Logging lorries use these roads, visibility is good.

ABM replied on 06/03/2022 21:31

Posted on 06/03/2022 21:31

Oh I do like Tinners comment wrt the pitches surprised In my Fiat Ducato  etc I do find a little (!) judicious manoeuvering  can get me nicely levelled  for table and bed times --  neither of which I tolerate if only slightly out of kilter.  The one thing about the roads is :-- it's a 40+ mile round trip for your newspapers so, should you be a newspaper puzzle fiend then get up early & ask neighbours which goodies they require  --  Brownie points by the Score there  innocent

SteveL replied on 06/03/2022 21:47

Posted on 06/03/2022 21:31 by ABM

Oh I do like Tinners comment wrt the pitches surprised In my Fiat Ducato  etc I do find a little (!) judicious manoeuvering  can get me nicely levelled  for table and bed times --  neither of which I tolerate if only slightly out of kilter.  The one thing about the roads is :-- it's a 40+ mile round trip for your newspapers so, should you be a newspaper puzzle fiend then get up early & ask neighbours which goodies they require  --  Brownie points by the Score there  innocent

Posted on 06/03/2022 21:47

According to the latest O2 coverage,  there is now a good 4G signal, so I have every hope of downloading my daily telegraph when we visit.😀

Personally I prefer the single track roads to the narrow twin track. At least on the single track,  you or the other vehicle pull in, rather than taking the mirror off with minimal slowing and a close pass.

ABM replied on 06/03/2022 21:53

Posted on 06/03/2022 21:53

Good point there SteveL  BUT  I bet you can't make paper hairyplanes out of your He-lectronic gizmos tho or can you  undecided

P.S. / Edit :--- Jack & Jill went up the hill to fetch a pail of water, empty the loo and waste generally  ~~ Great exercise for these elderly thighs  embarassed  

Hazel and Mike replied on 07/03/2022 13:05

Posted on 07/03/2022 13:05

Wow thanks for all the replies!

Our twin axle is one of the long ones so a stonking great huge one lol!

We are fairly experienced with towing, I've done a lot of miles but not done a long distance on single track roads and don't particularly want to have to reverse!

It does seem well worth the visit though as it looks so peaceful and just our cup of tea.

We would potentially plan to come from the South and then head up North afterwards to the coast for a few days and possibly a day trip to Orkney.  

Is it better to go back to the A836 to go North?

Is the A936 single track or just narrow?

Many thanks for all the replies :)

Tinwheeler replied on 07/03/2022 13:23

Posted on 07/03/2022 13:23

I’m not sure which road you mean but it’s worth investing in a decent paper road map as you can then see at a glance which roads are single track.

As a general rule, narrow roads are easier to use in northern Scotland than those in the Westcountry as the Scottish ones do not have high hedges allowing you to see ahead to the next passing place.

ABM replied on 07/03/2022 23:25

Posted on 07/03/2022 23:25

As a certainty I would not go north from Grummore , where the site actually is,  with a 'van such as you describe ( surprised!frown!yell) but more importantly when you get to the junction with the A836 turn right for Tongue  or left for Lairg BUT UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES GO STRAIGHT ACROSS !!  That, on the only occasion ABM tried it in a fairly solid VW Bay Window,, very nearly saw the end of my camping career !!  I don't think that the Highland council ever had sufficient funds to make that safe for less than a fully serviced Land Rover !!

Heading north up the B873 requires you to be fully awake with time to spare, no rushing just sensible driving enjoying the area & it's history -- pointed out at every second cattle grid or so it seems  wink

Have a late night on site, weather permitting ! I had a glorious evening sitting on the side step of my more recent VW with head phones on listening to CDs watching the moon rising over Beadaig & reflecting in Loch Naver. Coffee finished & thinking of another cup when I looked at the clock  __  just turning 01:30 A.M. to hell with the coffee, where's me jimjams  embarassed  Truly it's that sort of site --  just don't tell the world   !!

Brian

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook