Affiliated Sites - terms and conditions

Peteno8 replied on 19/09/2021 10:08

Posted on 19/09/2021 10:08

Having been a member of the Club for over 50 years I have made almost exclusive use of the Club owned sites rarely using Affiliated ones. However I decided to visit a AS site in Cambridgeshire. I am familiar with the terms and conditions of the Club relating to payment and cancellation. This site wanted full payment up front, not a problem. But, I discovered, it also has a draconian or some might say hard nosed commercial cancellation policy. Because of a medical emergency requiring a trip to local A & E department in the middle of the night I decided to cut short my holiday and return home. I informed the Affiliated site 3 days before my arrival date to be told you have cancelled within 14 days so you forfeit the payment, There was not even a hint of sympathy or empathy  just a 'that's it attitude'. Whereas I appreciate it is my problem I do wonder at the cost implications for  a large family or party booking, for say a week or a fortnight, The club site wardens, where I was staying, were most sympathetic even through they carried out the club policy as I left that one early to.

So what have I learned from this experience - to appreciate the Club we are so fond of and to avoided Affiliated Sites unless I can be sure not to have an emergency within 14 days of arrival - not so easy in your late 70's.

As they say in the commercial world 'Caveat Emptor' - let the buyer beware!!!!

Cornersteady replied on 19/09/2021 10:16

Posted on 19/09/2021 10:16

Yes people often post to ask why the club doesn't adopt a more 'commercial' attitude and practices but this an example of what that really means. 

Tinwheeler replied on 19/09/2021 10:53

Posted on 19/09/2021 10:53

We've often said here that the club's booking and cancellation policy is it's USP. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Navigateur replied on 19/09/2021 11:05

Posted on 19/09/2021 11:05

I have visited a number of "Affiliated" sites and believe they should be considered as being purely independent commercial operations with no relevance to The Caravan Club whatever.  Some things worse, some better.

Cornersteady replied on 19/09/2021 11:18

Posted on 19/09/2021 11:05 by Navigateur

I have visited a number of "Affiliated" sites and believe they should be considered as being purely independent commercial operations with no relevance to The Caravan Club whatever.  Some things worse, some better.

Posted on 19/09/2021 11:18

After visiting one I fully agree with you, not saying they were bad in any way but certainly nothing 'club' about them apart from the AS sign, I wonder what the benefits are to either party?

(again nothing wrong with nothing club either, everyone chooses what they like)

JVB66 replied on 19/09/2021 11:29

Posted on 19/09/2021 11:29

I think they are in places where this club have gaps? 

Chew valley has come back as an affiliated site Adults only? they were in the late 1990s an affiliated site ,but it seems once they had a good customer base they decided to go it alone,but have in recent,years it seems decided this clubs support was missedsurprised

Takethedogalong replied on 19/09/2021 11:48

Posted on 19/09/2021 11:48

Agree, we use a lot of AS Sites, and know they are different in many ways. We completely accept the difference in terms and conditions. It’s harsh in the OP’s case, as of course a medical emergency of any kind can mean a loss on fees paid, but then holiday insurance might become prudent in the future. It’s usually standard practice for cottage and hotel bookings, even in UK.

There appears little doubt now that the Club is willing to give up on one of its USP’s, and is going down the route of deposits upfront. As yet, Members remain in ignorance of whether or not deposits might be refunded within a given timescale, with proof of an emergency. I for one doubt it, I think deposits will be retained. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Club actually started selling holiday insurance for UK visits as well.
The Club blinkers are coming off, and the commercial enterprise whip is in hand, all we need now is details of the runners and riders, and the date of the big race start. 

replied on 19/09/2021 12:07

Posted on 19/09/2021 12:07

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

replied on 19/09/2021 12:19

Posted on 19/09/2021 12:07 by

I have only  used one, Stanmore Hall. We went for 3 days to try out a new van and spend a couple days at the Coalbrooke Dale Museum.   Based on just one visit I felt that although expensive it was a model the club would struggle to emulate,  pitch sizes ,layout  and facilities. 

Posted on 19/09/2021 12:19

I have used that site on a number of occasions David. Last time I guess 5 or 6 years ago. First time about 23 years ago. I have used at least 4 Morris Leisure sites. I did not really like there facility blocks nor their location right by reception rathe than central. In general I prefer this club's sites but the Morris leisure sites serve a purpose with their location and are acceptable.

JVB66 replied on 19/09/2021 12:42

Posted on 19/09/2021 12:19 by

I have used that site on a number of occasions David. Last time I guess 5 or 6 years ago. First time about 23 years ago. I have used at least 4 Morris Leisure sites. I did not really like there facility blocks nor their location right by reception rathe than central. In general I prefer this club's sites but the Morris leisure sites serve a purpose with their location and are acceptable.

Posted on 19/09/2021 12:42

aWe have used Stanmore hall many years ago ,before it was bought by the present owners and much money spent on it to make it as it is now?

One thing that stood out then was how dark it was and you had to be carefull of where you trod as it was covered in goose and duck droppings, even away from the lake

We went as we had won some tickets for the Seven Valley Railway with a behind the scenes look,which was even better when they realised i was with the national railwaycool

Oh was looked after by the staff at Bridgenorth while i was shown round the "mucky bits"wink

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook