Accessible Walks in E Anglia

Dyddy replied on 16/09/2023 16:42

Posted on 16/09/2023 16:42

Hi De Hi!  Bit of a long shot - Has anyone experience of EHU campsites with wheelchair accessible walks within close proximity of site, located in the East Anglia area - say 3miles to 10miles long. Woodland / Countryside / Public Footpath / Coastal preferred but not essential. Trying to avoid sites where public access roads are narrow without pavements.

All pointers from your experiences greatly appreciated.

Bakers2 replied on 16/09/2023 22:11

Posted on 16/09/2023 22:11

Not sure on instant access to a very suitable walk but there's a long promenade along the top of the beach which starts/ends at Walton on the Naze through Frinton on  Sea, Holland on Sea to Clacton on Sea pier. Slopes up and down at various points. Toilets, coffee/tea/ice cream  stops on the prom. 

I've never walked end to end at once, but over the years have done the entire promenade. Very flat once up/down and good solid concrete surface.

Maldon has a good accessible  Sea wall I believe there's a campsite close to Tiptree tearoom Osea View, which would give access to it allowing walking in either direction. Maldon park and prom there would be good wheelchair walking. 

Again Burnham on Crouch has a good accessible wall along the river Crouch for several miles. Lovely CL at Burnham Wick the far end of Burnham, but access to the river isn't immediate from the site, but opposite end of the town there's a large carpark. The CL.does offer shower and toilet, but I'm not sure how suitable they would be for wheelchair user. Great organic farm, horse livery, wonderful wildlife to watch from your van.

Both Maldon and Burnham are interesting small towns. Walton, Frinton, Holland and Clacton on Sea typical.seaside towns.

Harwich through to Dovercourt, full of history. Has solid promenade too.

There's good solid surfaces all the way from the beautiful Leigh on Sea to Shoeburyness through Southend. Again you'd need to research sites, that you could reach easily and park up. 

Hope that gives you a starting point for Essex coast.

Happy to help if you have questions, but it is my home county rather than somewhere we've used sites. I can highly recommend Burnham Wick CL but it is a grass site. Great very approachable owners with their own FB page

burnham wick farm cl

Wherenext replied on 16/09/2023 22:21

Posted on 16/09/2023 22:21

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/certificated-locations/england/essex/burnham-on-crouch/burnham-wick-farm/

I assume that's the one you are trying to highlight Bakers.

Dyddy could also try the club site at Ferry Meadows. That, I believe, has a cycle ride right outside site so should be accessible for wheelchair. JVB, a regular contributor to the forum Dyddy, used to take his disabled wife there on a regular basis. I assume Peterborough might be included in OPs definition. 

Bakers2 replied on 16/09/2023 22:40

Posted on 16/09/2023 22:40

Thanks Wherenext.

Yes Ferry Meadows, doh used it ourselves, very good. Park at Ferry Meadows very accessible, couple of cafes. Lots of water and wildlife. Yes all off road into Peterborough City centre. Beautiful cathedral.

Access from site to Nene Valley railway.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook