Your experiences in 2023 - France

Derwa replied on 07/01/2024 10:26

Posted on 07/01/2024 10:26

Hi we're just starting to think about our trip to France later this year. There's been a bit of discussion here and in other forums about campsites being busier post COVID so I would be grateful of any specific feedback about your experience in 2023 - particularly how busy you found it in May/June and/or in September. If you could also share where you were - which area, and coast or inland?

I'm not interested in Aires, we have a campervan.

It would be really helpful to get some feedback about how busy sites were from people's actual experience in 2023. Thanks.

InaD replied on 12/01/2024 09:15

Posted on 11/01/2024 20:55 by eribaMotters

InaD, interesting that you note "Moulin Fort, Chenonceaux" in The Loire. This is the site we found to be between 70 and 95% full in Sept of 2023.

When we left we booked our pitch for last two weeks of June 2024. Only 4 riverside pitches were available.

Colin

Posted on 12/01/2024 09:15

Colin, it was the 3rd site we rang.  We arrived on the Friday of the Whitsun weekend and there were plenty of pitches.  It did fill up during the afternoon and on the Saturday, I'd say it was about 80-90% full then.  A lot of people left by the Tuesday.

Yes, riverside pitches are popular, the majority of those were taken when we arrived, and some of the remaining ones were on the small side, so we went for a bigger pitch further away from the river.

Lukeledge replied on 12/01/2024 09:37

Posted on 12/01/2024 09:37

We were in France Sept/Oct 23 for the RWC and the only sites that were busy/full were ones near Lyon and Nice which were full of rugby fans. No problems elsewhere , all Inland. Also stopped in the Ardennes on the way home, nice area!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook