Winter route and sites and advice to Spain

beverley12 replied on 25/07/2023 14:08

Posted on 25/07/2023 14:08

We are considering motorhome drive down west coast of France to Spain and then to southern Spain I.e the sun! This would be mid December and staying just less than the 90 days!

However, as this is all dependent on husbands knee op recovery time (op is September 4), we are not really able to book sites. We so want to catch up on what we haven't been able to do due to his lack of mobility.

So I'm asking advice re do you think there will be sites open we can stay at, or book late on the route down and once we get there?

If yes could you give further details please.

We still want to be able to tour southern coastal Spain and also Portugal rather than stay in one place. We like sites with facilities rather than wild camping but don't mind the odd aire for an over night stop.

Many thanks in advance.

eurortraveller replied on 25/07/2023 15:23

Posted on 25/07/2023 15:23

If I were going there in winter it would be…

Day 1 home to Portsmouth and overnight boat to St Malo

Day 2 st Malo to Bordeaux choice of two sites open - 300 miles 

Day 3 Bordeaux to Burgos -280miles

Day 4. Burgos to Caceres - 280 miles

Day 5 Your choice of destination - say 200 miles

My own choice is to fly to Thailand . It takes less than 12 hours. My daughter is there now and I am so envious.

TobyLeeds replied on 25/07/2023 17:29

Posted on 25/07/2023 17:29

Sites on the Spanish costas get fully booked in winter, so you would be well advised to book ahead here if possible. The Spanish Atlantic coast sites may be easier. 
inland Spain is an ideal tourist destination in winter (the worst weather tends to be from 15th January to mid February). The coast in Southern Spain can be quite cloudy and wet in winter.

JimE replied on 26/07/2023 07:58

Posted on 26/07/2023 07:58

Personally, when we travel to Spain for the winter, we never use sites for overnight stops as there are lots of aires within a couple of miles of the major routes.  This approach means we can stop when we are ready to call it a day rather than having to "soldier on" regardless of road & weather conditions and how tired we might feel. 

Of course, if you don't have full on-board facilities, this option isn't available, but it works very well for us.

beverley12 replied on 26/07/2023 17:24

Posted on 26/07/2023 17:24

Thank you for the replies. JimE do you book a site for when you are in Spain or do you tour and use aires then too?

JimE replied on 26/07/2023 18:05

Posted on 26/07/2023 17:24 by beverley12

Thank you for the replies. JimE do you book a site for when you are in Spain or do you tour and use aires then too?

Posted on 26/07/2023 18:05

I book sites at the Spanish resorts as they can get fully booked - my favourites are :

As you can see, I favour the east coast as I find the winter climate is better than the south coast or Portugal.

I do also use aires in Spain occasionally but they tend to get overcrowded especially during the "snowbird" season in the winter months.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook