Using Mifi and data sim in France

katef replied on 03/08/2022 11:44

Posted on 03/08/2022 11:44

HI, I hope you can help me. 

We are travelling to Brittany soon, our first time caravanning in France. I would like to be able to access the internet whilst there and have 2 children who would also like to message their friends (via tablets/internet not mobile phones). 

I have been looking at using my phone as a hot spot or getting a mifi router and buying a data only sim. 

I think that UK data is limited when roaming. 

Can anyone advise on the best way to do this? Buying extra data for my phone is expensive so I wondered whether a mifi router with a data only sim might be best - but does this need to be a french sim in order to prevent the data being limited?

We will probably be using just for messaging, emails etc as I understand watching tv/films is very data hungry!

I have been researching this but it's not my forte really and I have so many other things to sort out before we go I was hoping you lovely people might have some experience and advice to share? 

Thanks in advance!

kenexton replied on 03/08/2022 15:24

Posted on 03/08/2022 15:24

We have an EE Hotspot for data only and £10  per cm gets you a Roaming Pass for the EU.You have to ring up and arrange it or it is £2  per day.We can use our full 30Gb monthly  allowance in the EU by purchasing the bolt-on which is charged to our account over and above our normal monthly payment.

hitchglitch replied on 03/08/2022 16:00

Posted on 03/08/2022 16:00

Huawei MiFi seems popular. “Internet with Legs” was also mentioned on another forum and I assume this is one of the Huawei packages available.

Worth mentioning that a high percentage of French sites have free WiFi. You may have to be close to reception to get a decent signal but that has the benefit of limiting browsing time which leaves more space for proper outdoor activities, although I am not sure the kids will see it that way!

eurortraveller replied on 03/08/2022 16:02

Posted on 03/08/2022 16:02

Kate, we went to a dozen or more cheapish campsites in Brittany and most of them had free wi fi that was good enough for the purposes you describe - it was rarely accessible in the caravan and usually meant going closer to the office, but it sufficed.

The more expensive campsites, however,  are more likely to charge you for wi fi, and if you are as mean as I am you can instead find free wi fi in (or outside) McDonalds, cafes, bars,  motorway service stations , shopping malls, public libraries and tourist offices. We used all those in various places at times for messaging family and friends. 

But beware of wi fi via sky high satellite connections on ferries. That really is dear.

Enjoy Brittany.

SteveL replied on 03/08/2022 16:15

Posted on 03/08/2022 16:15

But beware of wi fi via sky high satellite connections on ferries. That really is dear.

Indeed, Brittany Ferries have such a service and advise switching roaming off on your phone during the crossing. That worked totally on my iphone but OH’s still linked to the satellite phone system. Wether she would have been charged for any incoming calls I don’t know, she turned the phone off for the crossing. Probably the safest then there is no risk, the charges are exorbitant.

peedee replied on 03/08/2022 16:15

Posted on 03/08/2022 16:15

Do a search on MotorhomeFun, there are plenty of suggestions there but you will need to check them at source to make sure they are still available. One recently recommended was from Lebara. £15 for 30Gb of data.

peedee

SteveL replied on 03/08/2022 16:26

Posted on 03/08/2022 16:26

If your on O2 with your phone there is no additional charge for roaming. There is a monthly limit but it was higher than OH’s 15GB so I didn’t register the amount. Also if you have a BT mobile sim, as I do (which uses EE) you are able to request a no charge add on, where as there is a charge if your contract is direct with EE.

katef replied on 03/08/2022 17:45

Posted on 03/08/2022 16:00 by hitchglitch

Huawei MiFi seems popular. “Internet with Legs” was also mentioned on another forum and I assume this is one of the Huawei packages available.

Worth mentioning that a high percentage of French sites have free WiFi. You may have to be close to reception to get a decent signal but that has the benefit of limiting browsing time which leaves more space for proper outdoor activities, although I am not sure the kids will see it that way!

Posted on 03/08/2022 17:45

Thank you hitchglitch. I have mixed feelings about the whole browsing thing... I'd rather get the kids outdoors too, but not sure its worth the pain of poor wifi.... not very relaxing to hear them complain cool

Good to know though that Wifi is usually free. I will check out the Huawei Mifi

Thanks

katef replied on 03/08/2022 17:47

Posted on 03/08/2022 16:02 by eurortraveller

Kate, we went to a dozen or more cheapish campsites in Brittany and most of them had free wi fi that was good enough for the purposes you describe - it was rarely accessible in the caravan and usually meant going closer to the office, but it sufficed.

The more expensive campsites, however,  are more likely to charge you for wi fi, and if you are as mean as I am you can instead find free wi fi in (or outside) McDonalds, cafes, bars,  motorway service stations , shopping malls, public libraries and tourist offices. We used all those in various places at times for messaging family and friends. 

Enjoy Brittany.

Posted on 03/08/2022 17:47

Hi eurotraveller, good tip about the ferries, thank you. I too will make teh most of free wifi!!

katef replied on 03/08/2022 17:48

Posted on 03/08/2022 16:15 by SteveL

Indeed, Brittany Ferries have such a service and advise switching roaming off on your phone during the crossing. That worked totally on my iphone but OH’s still linked to the satellite phone system. Wether she would have been charged for any incoming calls I don’t know, she turned the phone off for the crossing. Probably the safest then there is no risk, the charges are exorbitant.

Posted on 03/08/2022 17:48

Thanks SteveL for the ferry tip!

katef replied on 03/08/2022 17:49

Posted on 03/08/2022 16:15 by peedee

Do a search on MotorhomeFun, there are plenty of suggestions there but you will need to check them at source to make sure they are still available. One recently recommended was from Lebara. £15 for 30Gb of data.

peedee

Posted on 03/08/2022 17:49

I will check out that thread, thanks  peedee

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook