TV in Europe

goperson replied on 15/05/2023 07:25

Posted on 15/05/2023 07:25

What’s the best VPN for watching tv on mobile devices? We have plenty of data with free roaming with two different providers.

Only watch a bit of news maybe something if weather is bad not really worth taking tv and dish plus setup time for short stops.

NutsyH replied on 15/05/2023 07:41

Posted on 15/05/2023 07:41

Nord VPN. I've tried several over the years, and this seems to be the best.

Works with all the UK TV streams including Iplayer, ITVX, Netflix etc. Can be installed on up to 3 devices. Desktop, laptop, and an App for your phone.

DavidKlyne replied on 15/05/2023 14:44

Posted on 15/05/2023 14:44

It may have changed but in the past I have used VPN websites that allow you to watch UK channels for free but it does mean adverts. We were also able to get BBC Radio 4 quite a way down through France on the car radio. Used to delight in letting the bongs of Big Ben echo around the campsitewink

David

young thomas replied on 15/05/2023 17:01

Posted on 15/05/2023 17:01

Heres my recent experience in Spain...mainly using two Amazon Firesticks.

in general, if you're using your own mobile data you DONT need a VPN, your location isn't known so you don't need to mask it...

However, when using (say) site wifi It's a bit of a mixed bag nowadays with some providers being able to detect VPNs and react (differently to them...

On site wifi, the UK channels using Iplayer, ITVx etc need a VPN to be able to view them at all, no VPN no viewing.

the likes of Apple, Netflix and Amazon Prime react a bit differently...

Even on site wifi, Amazon and Netflix certainly don't need a VPN but they do present a slightly different (restricted?) catalogue to UK customers in the EU, we noticed a program that was visible and playable on our iPad (with mobile data) wasn't visible on a Firestick using site wifi...

I then tried using a VPN to hide my address but the App detected this and threw up an error...

Ive been using Private Internet Access (PIA) and has worked well...

PS...ITVx has to be the worst, slowest App I've ever used....after CT😉

Tammygirl replied on 15/05/2023 19:15

Posted on 15/05/2023 19:15

We are currently in the south of France and can echo YTs comments. 

No issues using our mobile data or UK sim in our mifi, no VPN required. 

Using site WiFi VPN required, we have downloaded Hola for the Firestick and seems to work well. As YT said Netflix does not need a VPN even with site WiFi. We watched a film from it the other night and had a perfect picture no buffering at all. Can't say the same for the iplayers though, through the site WiFi they buffer but not if we use our phones or the mifi to hot spot. Just need to have sufficient data it seems to work out at 1 hr = 1gb.

goperson replied on 15/05/2023 21:01

Posted on 15/05/2023 21:01

Thanks for all the useful information think we’ll just stick with our mobile data and maybe I’ll get sim for my mifi as well .

peedee replied on 16/05/2023 07:20

Posted on 16/05/2023 07:20

I can also echo YT and TGs comments. We didn't have unlimited roaming but managed if all you want to do is check messages and do a bit of browsing. We used our phones hot spots, one on Lebara (Vodaphone) and one on GiffGaf (O2) I also used a router loaded with a Three sim. All three allowed limited roaming dependant on the package. In our case we had aceess to 20Gbs per month. We visited or past through 10 countries and were never without coms. We did not stream much TV but I found that I could download films from Netflix via site WiFi and for the news and the Coranation we watched Sky News on Astra 19.2.

peedee

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook