The continent in January - newbie

ScreenNameFAE47D1740 replied on 18/09/2023 20:25

Posted on 18/09/2023 20:25

We already feel the need to escape the rain. We live in a beautiful but notoriously wet part of the UK and could conceivably bug out for the whole of January to head south and try and find somewhere a little warmer and dryer.

But whilst we've been abroad towing a small van and then around Scotland this year with our Bailey, I'm really nervous about trying to put a schedule together out of season.

I believe the CAMC has a package holiday type service that will arrange things for us. Is this a good idea and are there other 'travel agents' that will help us? We're thinking of heading towards Valencia but very open to suggestions.

Also - we will need WiFi or good mobile coverage wherever we end up as we both still work a bit, albeit remotely.

Simon

peedee replied on 18/09/2023 20:53

Posted on 18/09/2023 20:53

The Club will be hosting winter sun  rallies in Spain again in 2024. Check >this page< out. If your nervous about travel etc they are a good idea. A great deal can be arranged for you. I have stayed at Alania Costa Blanca, so have others who post here and they will no doubt add their comments. You can hire a router on the site for about €25 per month which connects to their fibre network. I found it a good service but I wouldn't call myself a heavy user but it was better than most site WiFis.

peedee

eurortraveller replied on 19/09/2023 12:44

Posted on 18/09/2023 20:25 by ScreenNameFAE47D1740

We already feel the need to escape the rain. We live in a beautiful but notoriously wet part of the UK and could conceivably bug out for the whole of January to head south and try and find somewhere a little warmer and dryer.

But whilst we've been abroad towing a small van and then around Scotland this year with our Bailey, I'm really nervous about trying to put a schedule together out of season.

I believe the CAMC has a package holiday type service that will arrange things for us. Is this a good idea and are there other 'travel agents' that will help us? We're thinking of heading towards Valencia but very open to suggestions.

Also - we will need WiFi or good mobile coverage wherever we end up as we both still work a bit, albeit remotely.

Simon

Posted on 19/09/2023 12:44

Are you absolutely tied to the idea of taking a caravan?

The prospect of towing 1000 miles across France and Spain from Calais to Valencia in January never appealed to me, and the alternative of 30 hours on a ferry across the Bay of Biscay in a winter storm always seemed that it might even be worse.

Luckily we had a caravan which didn’t mind being left alone at home in January so our sun seeking winter holidays always began at Heathrow - and were always DIY / independent travels. I would have been bad company if I had been confined to one single campsite for many weeks, but others are very happy to do that.

So I hope you have a good January whatever you decide - and internet access doesn’t seem to be a problem anywhere in the world these days. 

NutsyH replied on 19/09/2023 14:14

Posted on 18/09/2023 20:25 by ScreenNameFAE47D1740

Simon

Posted on 19/09/2023 14:14

You will find that wherever you are "over  there" the wifi will be infinitely better than anything the CAMC offers on its UK sites. 4G will also be easily accessed anywhere, unlike the UK, so easy to use yor phone as a hot spot if necessary.

young thomas replied on 19/09/2023 17:54

Posted on 19/09/2023 14:14 by NutsyH

You will find that wherever you are "over  there" the wifi will be infinitely better than anything the CAMC offers on its UK sites. 4G will also be easily accessed anywhere, unlike the UK, so easy to use yor phone as a hot spot if necessary.

Posted on 19/09/2023 17:54

...just remember to have a contract that contains roaming and turn it on๐Ÿ˜‰

having spent too long in Heathrow fairly recently as part of a fly-cruise, some aren't partial to long (or even short) haul flying these days...makes slipping onto a ferry look like child's play.

as usual, we will be in Spain for the winter, either relaxing on a boat into Bilbao or Santander....or even driving down through France...to Valencia.

we have a booking as the popular 'destination' sites in Spain can get booked. However there will be many places with vacancies, especially if you're touring a little inland.

PD mentioned the long stay rallies, we did do one (by accident we joined up on site...) a few years back and it was fun, and it will perhaps ease any anxiety you might have.

once you've had three months in the sun instead of your usual wet stuff, there's a chance you might do it again.

we've toured all over by plane for years before we got a MH, touring in the van is much less like hard work.....

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook