Taking food into France

JSGARTH replied on 23/03/2023 10:24

Posted on 23/03/2023 10:24

We are travelling to France this year for the first time since Brexit and The Pandemic. We are travelling for a few months, we have done this since 1984 and used to like taking a fair bit of food with us. I have tried researching what I can take this year, but what I have read seems ambiguous. I understand the basics no fresh food or dairy products, but what about tinned food, dried food, bottled food, spices and herbs? I know people will say what are you worrying about they sell food in France, but we like to be well stocked when travelling. Also my wife enjoys cooking and would take lots of store cupboard type ingredients. Can anybody give me details for a website that can help with specific items? I have looked at the EU sites but they are so complicated and steeped in legal language. Surely there must be simple to understand but detailed information somewhere on the web, can somebody help me find it?!

JSGJ

Hja replied on 23/03/2023 10:49

Posted on 23/03/2023 10:49

Can’t point you to specific web site besides eu site. You could try uk.gov sites as well. But essentially no meat or meat products inc. tinned meat.  No dairy of any sort, inc. dried milk. There are some limits on fruit and veg as well. But I think that is fresh not canned. But you are ok with dried herbs for example.

There are several aspects of this. Firstly as we are a third country now we come under third country rules and in respect of foodstuffs it is all about food security for the eu now that we longer necessarily follow eu food rules. Secondly it is about checks on the eu side of the border. If you take “contraband” and it is discovered the most likely consequence is for it to be confiscated. There is first hand evidence on other forums of fridges being checked, although rarely.

peedee replied on 23/03/2023 11:50

Posted on 23/03/2023 11:50

I would just go by the uk.gov web site. If you get it wrong, the worst that can happen is the food will be confiscated. As ET points out, shop soon after you get there.

peedee

Derwa replied on 23/03/2023 12:40

Posted on 23/03/2023 12:40

Good advice to follow uk.gov website. I am not sure why people are telling you to just go shopping, after you have explained your reasoning. We take basics like a wide range of spices and dried herbs, etc because I don't want to buy them all again - we take them in small containers, mostly mini jam jars, to save space. I am pretty sure that kind of thing is fine in terms of the new rules. Have a great trip.

replied on 23/03/2023 12:50

Posted on 23/03/2023 12:50

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Wherenext replied on 23/03/2023 15:07

Posted on 23/03/2023 15:07

We had the same reception as DD when we went to the Netherlands last year. Took a full fridge with our usual sauces/breakfast/tea/coffee etc and nobody batted an eyelid.

DavidKlyne replied on 23/03/2023 15:31

Posted on 23/03/2023 15:31

From all the anecdotal evidence on here, Facebook and other forums, it seems there are no reported incidents where people are checked, certainly going into France. Even if you were checked the worse that is likely to happen would be that the food would be confiscated, no fines or thrown into prison! One, of course, has to be sensible. If you ram your fridge/freezer full of bacon anyone checking could reasonably come to the conclusion that it was not for personal consumption and that might end differently? I think if there were incidences of people being checked and food confiscated that news would spread around the internet faster than someone saying they have been gassed on a Service Station! As with all risks you have to balance that against the likely consequences and make a decision.

David

EmilysDad replied on 23/03/2023 16:22

Posted on 23/03/2023 16:22

From many previous posts here I thought that it was only likely to be a problem if you were taking pallet loads of the stuff with you. Personal consumption was deemed to be OK 🤷‍♂️

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook