Taking dog to Italy

h0ppy replied on 27/04/2022 12:28

Posted on 27/04/2022 12:28

Hi, we are taking the caravan to Italy for 8 weeks in the summer.  We are planning to take the dog too.   Has anyone taken their dog to Italy?  Just thinking of the logistics/days out/temperature, we have air con in van.   Has anyone found doggy daycare in Italy (if we go out for longer).   Thanks.

eurortraveller replied on 27/04/2022 14:11

Posted on 27/04/2022 14:11

I guess it depends where in Italy you are going and what you want to see and do.

When we were younger we went walking in the easier parts of the Italian Alps - in the upper end of the Adige valley from sites at Malls and Silandro, and in the Gran Paradiso national park in the offshoots of the Aosta valley from several sites there. Taking a dog there would present no problems at all. And you can seek out separate sections of many lakes where dogs can swim.

On the other hand we went to so many places where you could not take a dog  at all - up the leaning tower of Pisa, to opera performances in the Roman arena at Verona, into the cathedrals  at Assisi and Siena, to the astonishing Stupinigi palace near Turin, into galleries, museums, and so on. There always seemed much more to see in towns than countryside in Italy! 

I’m not a dog owner and would find travelling in Italy with a dog a big block on things we wanted to do, but I’m sure others will disagree. But above all it depends what you yourselves want to get from a visit to Italy.

Dave Nicholson replied on 27/04/2022 20:34

Posted on 27/04/2022 20:34

Many Italian sites on the Adriatic coast don't accept dogs and some that do have very restricted areas for the dogs on site. Many beaches do not allow dogs either I'm afraid.

Temperatures, even on the coast, can reach the mid 40s at times (for 6 consecutive days last August) and you would clearly need your Air Con then. In addition, the EHU current on many Italian sites is often less than 10 amps so check your Air Con unit rating  and with the site before you book. The more desirable sites on the coasts and in the Garda area will be fully booked during August because most Italians take the whole of August off and Italy is a popular destination for the Germans and Austrians too, especially post Covid19 since there is still some reluctance to fly to other destinations.  I recommend you book your sites for August asap but I'm afraid the prime pitches will already be taken. There will, however, be no need to book in September or early July.

allanandjean replied on 28/04/2022 10:53

Posted on 28/04/2022 10:53

Hi, I suspect the two responses are maybe not what you hoped for but perfectly sum up my view.

We do not have a dog but, if we did, I would not contemplate taking one to what in all likelihood be a very uncomfortable climate.

If however you don’t feel this will be an issue then as said you will likely face quite a few restrictions.

It may be a bit late but maybe looking at options here is something to consider?

layton1837 replied on 11/05/2022 19:02

Posted on 11/05/2022 19:02

We have taken our Yorkshire terrier  dog to Europe for the past ten years.  Travelled as far down to Split in Croatia without problems. Have visited Lake Garda many times As we tend to use ACSI for our travels we are always back home by the middle of July. We always take a fan with us . In the Migros in Perchiera you put the dog in one of the special trolleys and take them around the supermarket. While the dog did restrict us from doing certain things we would not have been without her.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook