South of France beach sites that are dog friendly

Blanks replied on 16/05/2022 16:20

Posted on 16/05/2022 16:20

Has anyone found a dog friendly campsite in the south of France that is either on or very close to the beach, with the beach also being dog (on a lead) friendly, in the Languedoc region?

I have so far only found one, Le Garden Camping near Montpellier.

eurortraveller replied on 16/05/2022 16:57

Posted on 16/05/2022 16:57

Any beach away from a resort and without a lifeguard card is dog friendly -  for instance drive down to Piemanson beach at the south edge of the Camargue and walk west from there towards Beauduc beach. You will be amazed that there are such wild, windswept and lonely beaches in the south of France. But there is no camping down there since the authorities stripped away the wild camping on the shore a few years ago - you will have to use a campsite a few miles inland and drive there. There are plenty. 

ValDa replied on 16/05/2022 20:05

Posted on 16/05/2022 16:20 by Blanks

Has anyone found a dog friendly campsite in the south of France that is either on or very close to the beach, with the beach also being dog (on a lead) friendly, in the Languedoc region?

I have so far only found one, Le Garden Camping near Montpellier.

Posted on 16/05/2022 20:05

List of dog-friendly beaches (with condtions, such as lead, or restricted hours) here;~

Beaches which permit dogs

Agde has one beach - La Tamarissiere to the west of the Herault river.  There are several campsites on the banks of the Herault to the east, and a small rowing boat ferry across the mouth of the river - which seems a faff to be able to take the dog for a walk.

Leucate has three beaches where dogs are allowed, and there are several campsites in that area.  Torreiles has two beaches, and again several campsites.  Racou plage at Argeles is dog-friendly, a lovely beach, and we've been there several times with my son and his dog but the nearest campsite doesn't take touring caravan.   It really does also depend of what sort of site you are looking for - five pitches on the edge of a vineyard, or 400 pitches, pool complex, bar and restaurant, and entertainment.

If I were going south then I would stay a way inland, alongside one of the many rivers in that area.  There are lots of campsites where you can get access to a river beach, with shade, where your dog would probably be happier to stay for longer periods.  Riverside sites along the Ceze, the Ardeche, the Tarn, the Dourbie, the Orb, and the Herault in the higher reaches.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook