Sites in France en route to Winter Sun Rallies

jnj replied on 08/11/2023 21:00

Posted on 08/11/2023 21:00

Hi everyone, I am sure this must have been asked before ,but have not been able to find them. 

We are thinking of trying a winter sun rally next year 2024.As not good sailors we want to drive through France

and was wondering if anyone can recommend overnight/short stay sites on route. 

Also any other information you think might be useful will be gladly received.

Mant thanks  John.  

eurortraveller replied on 08/11/2023 21:23

Posted on 08/11/2023 21:23

John, If you would like to decide which way you are going across France then several of us will suggest overnight sites. But prepare for conflicting opinions !

eurortraveller replied on 08/11/2023 22:32

Posted on 08/11/2023 22:32

PS. I have never gone that way in winter - I was always on a plane toThailand or Kerala, or Sri Lanka or Bali at that time of year - but if I absolutely had to drive across France to Spain in winter it would be with stops in Paris, Lyon and Avignon.- they each have campsites open all year . They would probably each be two night stops to include a day in each city, and then onward via Perpignan and down the Spanish coast.

Good wishes

replied on 09/11/2023 00:11

Posted on 09/11/2023 00:11

The user and all related content has been deleted

JimE replied on 09/11/2023 09:26

Posted on 09/11/2023 09:26

As eurortraveler points out, essentially, there are 4 routes to drive through France in search of some winter sun in Spain - here's my opinion (starting east to west), other people may have entirely different opinions !

• A26/A7 : Reims-Lyon-Beziers  The most expensive route for tolls and by far the heaviest traffic, particularly around Lyon and the Rhone valley.  Probably the most reliable for winter weather as it is relatively low level.
  • A16/A71/A75 : Rouen(or Paris)-Orleans-Clermont Ferrand-Beziers  Much of this route is toll-free after Clermont and carries less traffic than the A7.  The scenery is spectacular on the southern half, but it is a high altitude route from Issoire onwards and is often subject to wintry weather.
  • A16/A71/A20/A61 : Rouen(or Paris)-Vierzon-Limoges-Toulouse-Beziers  Another route which has lighter traffic than the A7 and which is toll-free from Vierzon to just north of Souillac.  The 200 mile stretch between Limoges and Toulouse has a number of ascents and descents but is lower than the A75, so not quite so prone to bad weather;  but snow can still be present.
  • A16/A28/A10(or N10)/A63 : Rouen-Le Mans-Bordeaux-Biarritz  The most westerly of the routes and relatively low level for the most part.  Being closer to the Atlantic, it seems to be more prone to wet, windy weather but less likely to have snow.  Tolls are higher than the previous 2 routes.  Bordeaux can sometimes be a bottleneck.

Being a motorhomer, I don't often use sites when travelling long distance, prefering to decide at lunchtime where to stop for the night, thereby avoiding the need to press-on or stop early (if making good time).  I use the  search4sites app to help decide.

Hopefully, I will be travelling to Spain this January and will be following this route most of which I have used before.

One final thing : if you haven't already done so, book your sites in Spain NOW as many of the popular ones are already fully booked.

Happy travels cool

NutsyH replied on 09/11/2023 10:06

Posted on 09/11/2023 10:06

My contribution to this thread would be that caravan or solo, I avoid Paris like the plague. We have always used the western route, for reasons stated above. We live in Oxfordshire ,so always use the long channel crossing from Portsmounth to Ouistreham (Caen) which avoids the drag down the French coast from Calais and the M25 to Dover/Folkestone, but that depends on where you live in the UK.

Enjoy

peedee replied on 09/11/2023 10:38

Posted on 09/11/2023 10:38

The most risk of encountering snow is when passing through the Pyrenees. A useful web site for keeping an eye on conditions is >here<.

I do much the same as JimE when travelling to Spain but avoid the tolls as much as possible (I get charged at the Class 3 rate)  and from Bordeaux, weather being favourable, I like to head for the Somport Tunnel to cross the Pyrenees. My route looks like >this< and for a blow by blow account of a winter trip I have recorded one of the journeys on >Polarsteps<

peedee

NutsyH replied on 09/11/2023 13:26

Posted on 09/11/2023 10:38 by peedee

The most risk of encountering snow is when passing through the Pyrenees. A useful web site for keeping an eye on conditions is >here<.

I do much the same as JimE when travelling to Spain but avoid the tolls as much as possible (I get charged at the Class 3 rate)  and from Bordeaux, weather being favourable, I like to head for the Somport Tunnel to cross the Pyrenees. My route looks like >this< and for a blow by blow account of a winter trip I have recorded one of the journeys on >Polarsteps<

peedee

Posted on 09/11/2023 13:26

Depends on your route. If you use the Clermont Ferrand route you will just as likely encounter snow as over  the Pyrenees. Stay west through France, although likely to get torrential rain for much of the way.

I have found the autoroute from Henday up to Pamplona is kept clear of snow, with ploughs permanently stationed at intervals along the route. Also kept clear to Zaragoza, and then over the plain before dropping down to Valencia. Done  this route often (pre covid) in January/February and never had a problem. Warm coat needed though as very often below freezing.

PS - 4x4 with statutory winter tyres.

peedee replied on 10/11/2023 07:36

Posted on 10/11/2023 07:36

I agree there is just as much likelyhood of encountering snow on this route in winter as in the Pyrenees. Even in the summer months I don't like the Clermont Ferrand route very much. It is more demanding of fuel and engine power plus the Millau Bridge is a hefty toll for other than Class 1 and 2 vehicles. In the winter, it would definitely be a no no for me.

peedee

young thomas replied on 10/11/2023 08:55

Posted on 09/11/2023 09:26 by JimE

As eurortraveler points out, essentially, there are 4 routes to drive through France in search of some winter sun in Spain - here's my opinion (starting east to west), other people may have entirely different opinions !

• A26/A7 : Reims-Lyon-Beziers  The most expensive route for tolls and by far the heaviest traffic, particularly around Lyon and the Rhone valley.  Probably the most reliable for winter weather as it is relatively low level.
  • A16/A71/A75 : Rouen(or Paris)-Orleans-Clermont Ferrand-Beziers  Much of this route is toll-free after Clermont and carries less traffic than the A7.  The scenery is spectacular on the southern half, but it is a high altitude route from Issoire onwards and is often subject to wintry weather.
  • A16/A71/A20/A61 : Rouen(or Paris)-Vierzon-Limoges-Toulouse-Beziers  Another route which has lighter traffic than the A7 and which is toll-free from Vierzon to just north of Souillac.  The 200 mile stretch between Limoges and Toulouse has a number of ascents and descents but is lower than the A75, so not quite so prone to bad weather;  but snow can still be present.
  • A16/A28/A10(or N10)/A63 : Rouen-Le Mans-Bordeaux-Biarritz  The most westerly of the routes and relatively low level for the most part.  Being closer to the Atlantic, it seems to be more prone to wet, windy weather but less likely to have snow.  Tolls are higher than the previous 2 routes.  Bordeaux can sometimes be a bottleneck.

Being a motorhomer, I don't often use sites when travelling long distance, prefering to decide at lunchtime where to stop for the night, thereby avoiding the need to press-on or stop early (if making good time).  I use the  search4sites app to help decide.

Hopefully, I will be travelling to Spain this January and will be following this route most of which I have used before.

One final thing : if you haven't already done so, book your sites in Spain NOW as many of the popular ones are already fully booked.

Happy travels cool

Posted on 10/11/2023 08:55

Jim, just be aware that, while parking is still permitted in the area outside the guardian civil offices (used it ourselves) the new 'aire' is a few hundred yards away between MacDonalds and Dinopolis. Large open area, loads of room and pretty quiet despite a few lorries using it.

thanks for the route info.

for other travellers, the starting point is also significant...we live in Somerset and either Poole, Portsmouth even Plymouth are far easier than the trek to Dover, especially for favouring the western route and you're ok with ferries.

we will be using Caen and will pick up you're route a bit further south.

young thomas replied on 10/11/2023 09:11

Posted on 10/11/2023 09:11

....just to add, many use the municipal at Zaragosa but it can be tricky to get into the city to visit this lovely area...as an alternative for motorhomers, the new free aire to the north of the city is right next to a tram stop and is really easy to get to the centre. For those who like a stroll it's about 45 mins.

the aire is fairly large, but can be busy, we had a quiet night there last time.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/RobJ189ULf4EpLWF7?g_st=ic

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook