Sat nav without Speed Camera Alerts

Ray55 replied on 14/05/2024 11:54

Posted on 14/05/2024 11:54

Hello,

I was thinking about getting a sat nav system or app that takes into consideration I am towing a caravan. As many of these have a Speed Camera Alert facility and these are illegal in France ( whether you use it or not ) what systems or apps do people use to stay legal in France.

cheers

Ray

Ray55 replied on 14/05/2024 13:04

Posted on 14/05/2024 13:04

Further reading on this seems to have to found out if they give warning for exact locations of cameras, or does it just have a known data base not active speed detection. It seems a data base is legal but not a camera detector. 

I was looking at two cheape roptions.

Co-pilot for caravan app and also the OHREX N76 Sat Nav 786, 7 inch, GPS Navigation for Car Truck Lorry HGV LGV Motorhome.

Has anyone used either of the above and can review ?

Ray

Ray55 replied on 15/05/2024 09:00

Posted on 15/05/2024 09:00

Not sure if that happens with all GPS systems or apps. 

I have been in touch with Ohrex who state their system ( which is a low cost one I was thinking about is a  known data base not active speed detection. They have not answered my question though a to whether that is legal in France. 

Ray

peedee replied on 15/05/2024 10:59

Posted on 15/05/2024 10:59

I use Co-Pilot and never bother about such things. I cannot remember it ever alerting me to speeding in France so perhaps it does turn itself off automatically. If it doesn't what are the chances of being pulled over and the sat nav checked?

peedee

JaRT replied on 15/05/2024 11:35

Posted on 14/05/2024 11:54 by Ray55

Hello,

I was thinking about getting a sat nav system or app that takes into consideration I am towing a caravan. As many of these have a Speed Camera Alert facility and these are illegal in France ( whether you use it or not ) what systems or apps do people use to stay legal in France.

cheers

Ray

Posted on 15/05/2024 11:35

In France my old Garmin Camper used to alert to 'safety zones' or something similar which also happened to be were Speed cameras were located!

Then they allowed the disabling of this via. the settings and then TBH I got rid because I found the 'towing specific' size settings a complete waste of time.

I now use Google maps which automatically doesn't give any speed Camera info. when in France. 

peedee replied on 15/05/2024 16:56

Posted on 15/05/2024 16:56

In Co-Pilot you can switch the speed camera alerts off but still leave the warnings of speeding on. Co-Pilot recognises the areas with limits and will alert you when you enter them. Just checked my settings and I have speed camera warnings set to off but speed warnings set be displayed on the screen with an audible warning on entering them and with and alert that this is being exceeded set to 5m.p.h. above the limit.

I have the truck sat nav but I assume the same settings can be made in the caravan and car one.

peedee

Ray55 replied on 15/05/2024 18:20

Posted on 15/05/2024 18:20

Cheers, good to know.

I found this article quite good and clarified things. French news in English. 

'Essentially, it is illegal to use a tool to obtain the precise location of a fixed or mobile speed camera, although tools that show you areas where cameras might be present are legal.'

https://www.connexionfrance.com/practical/are-speed-camera-detectors-in-cars-legal-in-france/133187

jennyc replied on 29/05/2024 22:08

Posted on 29/05/2024 22:08

Despite our tow car being equipped with Sat Nav, we rely on iPhone Google maps because it’s ‘knowledge’ of road changes and road works is maintained in an up to date state which only applies at the time when a built in car system is loaded. The AA advise that ‘If you use Google maps to navigate, Google has advised that its camera detection feature turns off when you connect to data or WiFi in France’. That advice is bourn out by our own experience, as is Apple Maps too.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook