Rouen - Pont Gustav Flaubert

AGOG replied on 16/06/2023 15:27

Posted on 16/06/2023 15:27

Hi All,

I have started this as a different thread though strongly related to the recent "Avoiding Rouen".

In that thread I rather glibly suggested using the Pont Gustav Flaubert as an answer, fair enough in days gone by but.....

However, I too am going south from Dieppe next week and checking the route, yet again, I see that the google maps takes a slight deviation from what might be expected on the south side. Further zooming in and investigation tells me that the roads authorities are undertaking some extensive works to improve the access/egress to the bridge which will last into 2026.

I don't have a crit air cert issue so all possibilities are on..

I am trying to get to Le Mans (Chanteloup) as time efficiently  as possible without having to go mad.

Has anyone experience of this small element of the roads network? Is it worth the deviation either to Pont Matthilde or Pont De Brotonne or is there another better answer

Thanks

peedee replied on 16/06/2023 15:47

Posted on 16/06/2023 15:47

I would be very wary of deviations through Rouen, there are some very low bridges to catch out the unwary. If you do look for a diversion check it out thoroughly as to its suitability both from the point of view of low bridges and low emission zones.

peedee

AGOG replied on 16/06/2023 16:31

Posted on 16/06/2023 15:47 by peedee

I would be very wary of deviations through Rouen, there are some very low bridges to catch out the unwary. If you do look for a diversion check it out thoroughly as to its suitability both from the point of view of low bridges and low emission zones.

peedee

Posted on 16/06/2023 16:31

Absolutely, the first time I went through Rouen my navigator (pre sat navs) told me to take first exit next roundabout. I was immediately confronted by a low bridge and had to do the reverse of shame back out onto the roundabout. Achieved without issue apart from the sheer ignominy and not to be repeated. 

Any diversions I think about will be carefully vetted on street view.

PS for anyone interested this link to the project info

acces-pontflaubert-rivegauche.fr

Kasspa replied on 17/06/2023 14:04

Posted on 16/06/2023 15:27 by AGOG

Hi All,

I have started this as a different thread though strongly related to the recent "Avoiding Rouen".

In that thread I rather glibly suggested using the Pont Gustav Flaubert as an answer, fair enough in days gone by but.....

However, I too am going south from Dieppe next week and checking the route, yet again, I see that the google maps takes a slight deviation from what might be expected on the south side. Further zooming in and investigation tells me that the roads authorities are undertaking some extensive works to improve the access/egress to the bridge which will last into 2026.

I don't have a crit air cert issue so all possibilities are on..

I am trying to get to Le Mans (Chanteloup) as time efficiently  as possible without having to go mad.

Has anyone experience of this small element of the roads network? Is it worth the deviation either to Pont Matthilde or Pont De Brotonne or is there another better answer

Thanks

Posted on 17/06/2023 14:04

Hi KingG,

We done the journey from Chanteloup to Dieppe yesterday via Pont de Brotonne, no problems encountered at all en rte.

Circa 3 hours which obviously includes some lower speed roads.

hth

eurortraveller replied on 18/06/2023 09:54

Posted on 18/06/2023 09:54

KingG, There is no need to go into or through or around Rouen at all.   I really do suggest you take the route Kasspa did - and use the Pont de Brotonne. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook