Pyrenees Tunnels

brian701966 replied on 19/01/2023 17:03

Posted on 19/01/2023 17:03

Hi

About to set off to France and Spain in a 7m motor home. Last year we entered Spain using the A63 and onto San Sebastián. This year was looking at using one of the Pyrenees tunnels( Somport or Túnel de Bielsa-Aragnouet) . Really interested in how you found the roads leading and leaving the tunnel and how suitable they are for a 7m MH with a rear mounted bike rack?

Thanks 

eurortraveller replied on 19/01/2023 18:07

Posted on 19/01/2023 18:07

I don’t know the Bielsa tunnel but the Somport is used by articulated HGVs as well as tourist vehicles. Your 7 metre vehicle is just a pup - the artics are about 16 metres long. The road is much better on the Spanish side than the French side which is twisty,  but there are lots of You tube videos showing what driving that way is like.

peedee replied on 19/01/2023 18:53

Posted on 19/01/2023 18:53

I have used  the Vielha and Somport Tunnels but not the Bielsa in motorhomes in excess of 7m. The Somport is my favourite route into Spain it means I do not have to use the toll roads to Bayonne. The French road up to the Somport is narrow in places but visibility of these sections is good. There is a video on my web site >here<. On the Spanish side the roads are excellent.

peedee

RedKite replied on 19/01/2023 19:48

Posted on 19/01/2023 19:48

Not sure when you are arriving around the Pyrenees as at the moment it is very snowy here in the Lot so a lot more on the Pyrenees and hope all major roads will cleared for your chosen route.

Bonnes Vacances.

Tammygirl replied on 19/01/2023 20:36

Posted on 19/01/2023 20:36

We have done both the Somport and Bielsa tunnels from the Spanish side to the French side.

First the Somport in a 6.6m coach built wide MH, towing a trailer with a motorbike on it. The Spanish side is much better road than the French side but it's is OK if a little narrow in some places.

The Bielsa, the Spanish side is OK not a new road but it's good.  French side is  good new roads. However, it's steep with lots of hairpin bends, hard on the brakes coming down.

The tunnel is only single road so there is a traffic light system in operation. We did this route at the end of October 2021 in a 6.3m MH with a towbar mounted bike rack carry 2 ebikes.

Out of the 2 tunnels I would pick the Somport anyday.

Please be aware that at this time of year you will need to have Snow tyres to drive in the mountains. 

brian701966 replied on 03/03/2023 00:23

Posted on 19/01/2023 18:53 by peedee

I have used  the Vielha and Somport Tunnels but not the Bielsa in motorhomes in excess of 7m. The Somport is my favourite route into Spain it means I do not have to use the toll roads to Bayonne. The French road up to the Somport is narrow in places but visibility of these sections is good. There is a video on my web site >here<. On the Spanish side the roads are excellent.

peedee

Posted on 03/03/2023 00:23

Thanks the video is really useful 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook