Normandy beaches and local area

IanJames replied on 14/05/2023 19:03

Posted on 14/05/2023 19:03

We.are booked in at Le Brevedent camp site in Normandy for the first two weeks of June. We would like to visit the various landing beaches and museums. I see on the various websites that they suggest booking in advance. Does anyone have any experience of this area in June and whether booking is necessary? Also, I would be very grateful of any suggestions or recommendations of places not to miss.

Thank you for your help.

Bakers2 replied on 14/05/2023 19:27

Posted on 14/05/2023 19:27

I'm sure you'll find it very moving and enjoyable.

We went several years ago in June. Never heard of booking beaches. Do they do guided tours? We visited  Gold Beach, my dad went on that way but not on D Day. We did Arromaches and the museum but I couldn't do the 3D cinema, too emotional for me, I understand it was as if you were landing on the beach. We were also at St Mere Englise on 6 June, big re-enactment folk dressed up, old vehicles etc. We knew of 2 injured parachutist who were hurt, and that was without them being under fire!

We did the cemeteries both English and German. The road around Bayeux built by the Essex regiment and the rapestry. Plenty to keep you busy. We did a tour starting at a library, name of the village escapes me 😕, and learned a lot from the French perspective.  Certainly tests your school French!

We certainly didn't book anything we explored by ourselves.

eurortraveller replied on 14/05/2023 20:09

Posted on 14/05/2023 20:09

Ian, your chosen campsite is well placed for the eastern beaches, but a 180 mile return journey to Ste Mere Eglise  which Bakers has mentioned - it might pay you to move over there for part of your time. It’s bit closer than that for a return journey to the American cemetery at Colleville sur  mer which you certainly ought to visit. They take reservations there for groups but we certainly went individually. 

replied on 14/05/2023 20:51

Posted on 14/05/2023 20:51

The user and all related content has been deleted

NutsyH replied on 15/05/2023 07:46

Posted on 15/05/2023 07:46

Only booking we did was for the Bayeux Tapestry. You must book in advance for this. Also visit the Bayeux Normandy War Museum after the Tapestry.

replied on 15/05/2023 09:50

Posted on 15/05/2023 09:50

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

DavidKlyne replied on 15/05/2023 14:39

Posted on 15/05/2023 14:39

St Mere Eglise is well worth a visit, particularly the Airborne Museum. However at ET points out there would be a lot of driving involved if you wanted to visit all along the D-Day coast.

David

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook