Moselle Valley

Lord2david replied on 24/07/2022 21:58

Posted on 24/07/2022 21:58

Hi, 

We are travelling with our twin axle caravan via France to Germany at beginning of September, we have already booked 7 Nights in Black Forest Belchinblick site , we are then moving up to The Moselle Valley, I would like to be able to visit Cochem, ( not bothered about going to Koblenz as have visited there in the past). Happy to travel reasonable distances for days out. I believe wine festivals are held in September, so any information would be greatful.At some point we will need to pick up our daughter from Frankfurt Hahn airport. Can anyone recommend nice campsites - not to noisy, it would be nice to be have riverside views. Good electric amp would be good, - serviced pitches preferred.
The overseas brochure, does not have sites in this area.  
Many thanks in advance.

Lord2David

peedee replied on 25/07/2022 10:17

Posted on 25/07/2022 10:17

You will be hard pushed to find a truely quiet site along the Mosel! Unfortunately a vey busy railway line runs its length and it can be hard to find a site away from it. I have stayed at Camping Mosel Boating Centre which was not too bad as the railway line is on the opposite bank

I wrote this in my notes of the visit in 2013:

A large, level well managed site on an island in the Mosel. Water points on each grass pitch with 16 amp electricity points charged at 50 cents a kilowatt, Good clean facilities and a good motorhome service point but overall expensive at 27.50 euros for the night plus 2 euros for the 4 Kw of electricity I used. The railway was on the opposite bank but the frequent trains were clearly audible especially when the occasional goods train rumbled by. There seemed no escaping them.

There is a U-Tube video of the site >here< and it is not far from Cochem. I think it may be in the ACSI book.

Good luck

peedee

P>S this is the web site https://www.mosel-islands.de/ and it is an ACSI site.

peedee replied on 25/07/2022 10:40

Posted on 25/07/2022 10:40

Current price for a fully service pitch for two adults is 40 Euros and electricity is 60 cents a Kw. surprised

peedee

commeyras replied on 25/07/2022 10:53

Posted on 25/07/2022 10:53

We have stayed at Camping Hollandischer Hof at Sanheim am Mosel in the past (ACSI 616).  Would seem to meet your needs.  The railway on the other side of the river did not really disturb us.  All I can say is that we would happily stay there again.  ACSI price €18 from 19 Sep.  From our experience in Germany/Italy in May/Jun this year I would recommend that you book, or phone ahead,  wherever you stay; it was unusually busy!

eurortraveller replied on 25/07/2022 11:00

Posted on 25/07/2022 11:00

Lord2David,  As you say,  the overseas brochure has a limited choice, but the Club also owns the Alan Rogers company and employs inspectors to visit a wider range of sites. If you look up the site descriptions and reviews on the Alan Rogers website you will get more ideas - some sites on the Mosel river bank and others in the hills away from the narrow, confined valley.

Oneputt replied on 25/07/2022 21:41

Posted on 25/07/2022 21:41

We’ve stayed at Camping Zell A couple of times and it is a very peaceful and well located site.  No trains and nowhere as many barges passing like the Rhine.  Plenty of pubs, cafes and restaurants within walking distance just over the bridge.  Massive Globus hyper market just up the hill

Mark J B replied on 31/07/2022 12:37

Posted on 31/07/2022 12:37

I can recommend staying at Mosel camping, Wehlen, Bernkastel, Germany I’m a regular there, have been for many years. New site owners doing a great job of refurbishment. Not far from beautiful Bernkastel centre, right by river, supermarket nearby. Wine festival in nearby Brauneberg 17 th September. I’ll be there! 

Mark J B replied on 31/07/2022 12:40

Posted on 31/07/2022 12:40

Ps... there is no railway near the river for many miles of it. Not sure why ta previous comment suggests it runs alongside its length?

Kasspa replied on 01/08/2022 23:30

Posted on 01/08/2022 23:30

We've just returned from Bernkastel-Keus, the last stop of a 5 week tour, had lunch at the Alter Mosel Bahnhof  which used to be the railway station....

Last train ran on 31st December 1962.

We stayed at Knaus Campingpark, it has a very modern & well maintained shower block but was the 2nd most expensive place we stayed.... 150 Euros for 3 nights!!!!!

It was 25th -28th June however.

Lake Lugano was the most expensive which I booked via our overseas travel

Perhaps our own club sites will be more appreciated by some after reading that wink

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook