Millau Viaduct site recommendations

nicday replied on 04/01/2023 11:03

Posted on 04/01/2023 11:03

We are travelling down to the south of France and this year we have decided to go down via the Millau Viaduct. Stopping near Paris on night one so we can go to the palace of Versailles. So we will head south after that and need to find somewhere about an hour north of the Millau Viaduct to stay for one night. I have a place booked already through the Club, but it is 40 mins drive from A75 and 422 miles from the Paris site. A bit far for the kids in the back of the car.

But there seems to be a gap along the A75 with no real caravan sites - So have any one been, stayed or can recommend one please??

Thanks

eurortraveller replied on 04/01/2023 11:40

Posted on 04/01/2023 11:40

An hour north of Millau looks to me like the small town of St Chely d Apcher (population about 4000) about 60 miles north of Millau. There ‘s a simple municipal campsite close to the motorway - reviewed  on UKCampsite - another calling itself  CampCamp - and a posher site called Camping le Galier  a few miles further away. st St Alban - with website and pictures on line. Cancel your existing booking.  But all are still a long way from Paris.

peedee replied on 04/01/2023 12:26

Posted on 04/01/2023 12:26

I have stayed at Camping Municipal Issoire before which is just of junction 12 of the A75. That is about 118 miles north of Millau but might be a good option and I can recommend it?

peedee

Wherenext replied on 04/01/2023 14:00

Posted on 04/01/2023 14:00

We've stayed at Issoire as well using it as a one night stop. Very convenient just off the A75 and next to the sports ground.

Further south there is one at St.Flour, again just off the A75. St.Flour is a pretty, small town in which to unwind the legs after a long journey.

Both of above north of Millau.

Suggest you have plan A and B depending how well the journey southwards is going.

DavidKlyne replied on 04/01/2023 15:34

Posted on 04/01/2023 12:26 by peedee

I have stayed at Camping Municipal Issoire before which is just of junction 12 of the A75. That is about 118 miles north of Millau but might be a good option and I can recommend it?

peedee

Posted on 04/01/2023 15:34

Peedee

I assume it's Camping Du Mas at Issoire? We have also stayed there on the way south very handy from the A75. Useful supermarket on the other side of the motorway if you need to fill up with fuel as not many places on that route. Some photos here http://www.davidklyne.co.uk/camping_municipal_du_mas.html

David

allanandjean replied on 04/01/2023 19:04

Posted on 04/01/2023 19:04

We too have used the Issoire site as a meeting point/stopover enorute to the med via Millau due to its position right by the A75.

The day we stayed there was an event at the adjacent sports complex and the roads around were lined with parked cars but access to the site was OK.

As mentioned there is a large supermarket nearby where we went for fuel, thankfully solo as the approach to the pumps is tight. 

eribaMotters replied on 04/01/2023 20:04

Posted on 04/01/2023 20:04

In 2007 we stayed at https://www.marmotel.com/en/the-campsite/animation/. It is at 12130 Saint Geniez D’ Olt and about 40 miles north of Millau and 8 miles east of the A75. 

For one night you would not be doing it justice as the town is a world heritage site and well worth a few days, or as was our case two weeks.

Colin

nicday replied on 07/01/2023 14:16

Posted on 07/01/2023 14:16

Thanks everyone

In the end we cancelled the caravan club one and have booked here as its slightly further north and only a few mins from the A75

Camping LES CALQUIERES

We are travelling down 1st to  Maisons Laffitte campsite near Paris for a couple of nights then onto Camping Les Calquieres and then on to Le Brasilia for 2 weeks

DavidKlyne replied on 07/01/2023 15:40

Posted on 07/01/2023 14:16 by nicday

Thanks everyone

In the end we cancelled the caravan club one and have booked here as its slightly further north and only a few mins from the A75

Camping LES CALQUIERES

We are travelling down 1st to  Maisons Laffitte campsite near Paris for a couple of nights then onto Camping Les Calquieres and then on to Le Brasilia for 2 weeks

Posted on 07/01/2023 15:40

We stayed there about 12 years  ago. I remember I had to go to the local supermarket to buy a new sat nav as the one I was using gave up halfway through our journey. http://www.davidklyne.co.uk/camping_airotel_les_calquieres.html

David

eurortraveller replied on 07/01/2023 21:32

Posted on 07/01/2023 21:32

NicDay, Your chosen site at Severac le Chateau is well liked - but it’s almost 400 miles in a long day from Paris, with only 150 miles on the next day to Camping Brasilia.
Back in the day when we travelled with children a more even split with an earlier stop on the first day would have helped maintain family harmony and my own sanity. So I hope your children are more long suffering than mine were.
Good wishes.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook