Meals on ferries to Spain

eurortraveller replied on 17/12/2022 16:05

Posted on 17/12/2022 16:05

Up to now reservations on the three new B;F ships sailing to Spain - Galicia, Salamanca and Santona - have included on board meals. Those reservations will still be honoured, but the ferry company has announced that for new bookings they will revert to pay as you go for meals, with passengers choosing what they wish and when they wish.

They have accepted that the idea just wasn’t working - as everyone turned up for their “free” three course meal whether they wanted it or not - the queues were long, the set times were irritating, and the food waste was great. 

peedee replied on 17/12/2022 18:52

Posted on 17/12/2022 18:52

That is how it used to be on the one and only time I used that route some years ago but I think it was operated by P&O at the time. I remember it was the year of foot and mouth out break.

peedee

Tammygirl replied on 17/12/2022 19:41

Posted on 17/12/2022 19:41

Meals were 'free' on the Hull crossings many years ago, we used to use it often for coming home on leave from Germany.

If the meals are no longer included on the BF crossing has the price been adjusted? 

Pliers replied on 17/12/2022 20:01

Posted on 17/12/2022 20:01

We travelled on the Galicia ferry to Santander last May. We were allocated a 6.30pm time for dinner, at check in, much earlier than we would have preferred.

Asked if we could change for a later slot, but were told not possible, so the change in policy will definitely suit us.

The food was very good, though, the wine good value, and the crossing excellent.

Already booked for similar dates for 2023, but sailing to Bilbao next year.

🙂

astartup replied on 18/12/2022 18:39

Posted on 18/12/2022 18:39

We've just returned on Galicia and had the meals. A couple of comments,

We were first sitting which suited us as we eat early. The queue was bad then because people started queuing early. Once they opened the doors everyone due to eat at that time were served quickly, as far as we could see.

there was an issue with breakfast because BF were demanding proof that it was included when the crossing was booked. I had to show the email both crossings. Many people couldn't show proof.

finally, there's nowhere to get food unless you use one of the restaurants. I thought the food was expensive for what you got. Larger boats have a self-service which can be used any time. On the ferry out to Spain the only sandwiches were in part of the duty free area which was shut at lunchtime. On the return boat the bar had some.

we resorted to taking stuff to make our own sandwiches! I think BF need to rethink their boat design!

eurortraveller replied on 18/12/2022 19:45

Posted on 18/12/2022 19:45

The design on Galicia seemed odd from the start.

I was told that the dining room on that ship has only 174 seats, so serving an inclusive three course dinner to 900 passengers was never going to be easy - so they took over the Tapas snack bar and turned that into an overflow dining room for set meals too. 

But let me plug ferries from Plymouth. When the bigger Pont Aven ferry is sailing again in Spring the arrangements for meals on board are more varied  and the journey much  quicker..

wh1nbrew replied on 19/12/2022 19:00

Posted on 19/12/2022 19:00

I used the ferry to Bilbao earlier this year.  As has been said - I thought the food was expensive.  I can't cope with gluten, dairy or tomatoes, so the continental breakfast which was included in the price, was completely out apart from black hot drinks, and so was most of the English breakfast unfortunately, which you had to pay extra for, which was annoying to say the least.  As for sandwiches......

allanandjean replied on 20/12/2022 20:27

Posted on 20/12/2022 20:27

Considered an early Spring 23 trip and possibly with BF from Portsmouth but, reading the comments above,  glad it’s now a May trip on the Pont Aven

As euror says, a range of options, but a meal in the Le Flora restaurant is a real treat, with the buffet starters and deserts, being a fantastic way to start a holiday.

CRF replied on 09/01/2023 17:35

Posted on 09/01/2023 17:35

High 

We have booked the Santander crossing for 23/08/2023.  If we arrive early for boarding is there a parking area?  What do regular travellers on this route do? We will be staying at Plymouth Sound on the 22nd. Has anyone stayed there and was the journey to the port easy? 

Not sure have free meals. Will check that.

Thanks

replied on 09/01/2023 18:12

Posted on 09/01/2023 18:12

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

eurortraveller replied on 09/01/2023 18:38

Posted on 09/01/2023 17:35 by CRF

High 

We have booked the Santander crossing for 23/08/2023.  If we arrive early for boarding is there a parking area?  What do regular travellers on this route do? We will be staying at Plymouth Sound on the 22nd. Has anyone stayed there and was the journey to the port easy? 

Not sure have free meals. Will check that.

Thanks

Posted on 09/01/2023 18:38

CRF,  I take it that you are booked on the 1545 sailing from Plymouth on tne ferry “Pont Aven”.- there is a waiter service restaurant on board and a self service cafeteria. Meals have never been free of charge.on that ship.

It will take 20 minutes fromPlymouth Sound Club site to the ferryport although many people prefer to stay overnight at the Exeter site instead which is about an hour away. Just line up at the check ins when you arrive at the port. . If you want refreshments while you are waiting you can go to The Dock bar/ restaurant which is upstairs in the marina building at the port.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook