Italian roadside scam

agusta replied on 30/04/2018 13:56

Posted on 30/04/2018 13:56

We are currently in Italy and have just left the site Camping Lido Salpi at Manfredonia this morning.  Within a 100m of leaving the site entrance on the road to Bari, the S141, there was a black Nissan Juke registration number EH768LB parked on the roadside.  On passing it we heard a noise but thought no more about it.  However the Nissan car came speeding up behind us and flagged us down.  On stopping he then told us we had clipped his driver's door mirror with our motorhome.  On inspection there was a black line the same height as his door mirror on the side of our motorhome and the mirror on his vehicle was damaged, leading us to think that we had somehow clipped it as we went past, but we did not think that we had done it.  He then demanded insurance details and on refusal threatened us with the police.  After negotiating a settlement, we went on our way, as this was a very quiet lonely road and he was also on his mobile phone, which points to having someone else nearby.  On arrival at our destination we found that this had also happened to another couple who were pitched next to us at Manfredonia, and they had had exactly the same happen to them.  I just want to make everyone aware of this scam.  Perhaps the Club may be able to contact the site at Manfredonia and warn others.  

Randomcamper replied on 30/04/2018 14:09

Posted on 30/04/2018 14:09

On stopping he then told us we had clipped his driver's door mirror with our motorhome. On inspection there was a black line the same height as his door mirror on the side of our motorhome

Whilst accepting that his "damaged" mirror is not evidence, how do you account for this.....?

Had you left the van unattended nearby for a period...?

hitchglitch replied on 30/04/2018 16:08

Posted on 30/04/2018 16:08

Unfortunately, of all the countries we have toured in, Italy is the worst for scams. I have been overcharged at Petrol stations and also been told that my wiper blades needed replacing when they didn’t. It is common for garages to advertise a low price for fuel and you find that it is any one pump only which requires cash or is mysteriously out of order.

agusta replied on 30/04/2018 18:14

Posted on 30/04/2018 18:14

We had not left the van unattended, and no damage had occurred on the site.  The van is not damaged as such, as I have been able to polish the marks off.  Thanks for the tip on petrol stations.  I will look out for this.

Oneputt replied on 30/04/2018 18:27

Posted on 30/04/2018 18:14 by agusta

We had not left the van unattended, and no damage had occurred on the site.  The van is not damaged as such, as I have been able to polish the marks off.  Thanks for the tip on petrol stations.  I will look out for this.

Posted on 30/04/2018 18:27

So how did the black line get on your vehicle.?

agusta replied on 01/05/2018 07:12

Posted on 01/05/2018 07:12

We presume that he had something that he stuck out of his window as we went past which created the black line at the same height as his mirror.  

Whittakerr replied on 01/05/2018 13:34

Posted on 01/05/2018 13:34

"and he was also on his mobile phone, which points to having someone else nearby."

Do mobile phones only operate very locally in Italy?

Dunclair replied on 01/05/2018 22:49

Posted on 01/05/2018 22:49

I think a couple of you are being unkind to the OP. They were probably frightened and did the best they could in the circumstances. They have also been brave enough to share their experience in the hope that it will help others.

Despite what I sometimes think, this is a club primarily intended to help other people, not a target range for keyboard warriors.

pstuart replied on 19/05/2018 10:47

Posted on 30/04/2018 13:56 by agusta

We are currently in Italy and have just left the site Camping Lido Salpi at Manfredonia this morning.  Within a 100m of leaving the site entrance on the road to Bari, the S141, there was a black Nissan Juke registration number EH768LB parked on the roadside.  On passing it we heard a noise but thought no more about it.  However the Nissan car came speeding up behind us and flagged us down.  On stopping he then told us we had clipped his driver's door mirror with our motorhome.  On inspection there was a black line the same height as his door mirror on the side of our motorhome and the mirror on his vehicle was damaged, leading us to think that we had somehow clipped it as we went past, but we did not think that we had done it.  He then demanded insurance details and on refusal threatened us with the police.  After negotiating a settlement, we went on our way, as this was a very quiet lonely road and he was also on his mobile phone, which points to having someone else nearby.  On arrival at our destination we found that this had also happened to another couple who were pitched next to us at Manfredonia, and they had had exactly the same happen to them.  I just want to make everyone aware of this scam.  Perhaps the Club may be able to contact the site at Manfredonia and warn others.  

Posted on 19/05/2018 10:47

This happened to me yesterday on the motorway to Livorno Italy.

Driving my car solo and passing a BMW there was a bang - put it down to a flying stone.

I'm then chased by the BMW containing a rough looking couple who overtake pointing to their wing mirror.

They pulled in at a lay-by and proceeded  to shout in Italian that I had damaged their wing mirror when I passed them, there was certainly damage to the outside cover on their mirror and on the outside of mine!

Whilst I was explaining the fact to the thuggish man that if there was a collision then my mirror outside would have struck his mirror on the inside (his initial written demand for 500euro then was reduced to 50), his thug partner in tights noticed my dashcam  and promptly raised her bootlid to hide the number plate - too late, they then gave up..

I returned to my car and he very kindly attempted to wave me back onto the motorway directly into the path of a truck!!

Many thanks to originator of this thread for the 'warning' without which I may have paid just to get rid of them - it must have been a jagged metal pole thrust out of their window to make such noise and scratches to my mirror cover

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook