Is EuroTravel still a nightmare?

Dunclair replied on 28/02/2023 20:43

Posted on 28/02/2023 20:43

After several years of touring France and a little of Spain, we haven't been back since the combined disasters of Covid and Brexit. Things weren't helped by the P&O debacle either.

We are now considering a return to France for the lovely season of Late August to Late September. I've looked at ferry fares and they seem to have returned to some form of normality.

So, some questions please: What is the admin of going to and returning from France like now? Are there still miles long queues for the ferries? How bad is the queue at Calais when coming home?

Finally, how are HMRC behaving about duty-free allowances? We used to buy our wine imports in supermarkets well away from Calais. We found that is was cheaper than buying in La Cite or in duty-free shops. We used to bring back wine for the kids as well but Brexit has scuppered that. We would like to maximise our wine imports though, assuming that the answers to the previous questions give us a green light.

Thank you to anyone who helps us.

eurortraveller replied on 01/03/2023 14:17

Posted on 01/03/2023 14:17

Things are all pretty normal.

There is admin concerning dogs but otherwise you only need a passport within the approved time limits and they stamp it.

More and more cities require Crit Air badges since you went last.

The queues at immigration only depend on the flood of bank holiday traffic and whether officials are on strike.

No one is being penalised for taking a ready meal intoFrance for their first meal.

There are limits on the amount of wine you can bring home - it’s listed on line. If you have more it’s possible you may perhaps be searched. Who knows?

Have a good trip.

Tammygirl replied on 01/03/2023 18:45

Posted on 01/03/2023 18:45

Have no fear everything is fine. The only year we didn't go to France and Spain was 2020.

Travel is as it always was, we have not found any issues taking food over, no one checks. Not found queues at the ports, the tunnel was seamless and not busy. 

Sites are as they always was, though unfortunately some have changed hands or closed. Shops are full of wonderful fresh food and fuel is cheaper than here (it's was in November)

We are going again in April. 

replied on 01/03/2023 19:08

Posted on 01/03/2023 19:08

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

replied on 01/03/2023 19:30

Posted on 01/03/2023 19:30

replied on 01/03/2023 20:45

Posted on 01/03/2023 20:45

eribaMotters replied on 01/03/2023 20:59

Posted on 01/03/2023 20:59

We travelled out via Dover-Dunkirk last June and back via Hook of Holland to Harwich in July. All fairly laid back, paperwork checked but not the fridge or the freezer of goodies in the car boot. We did abide by the booze rules on the way home.
One thing I cannot figure out is why paperwork needed to be checked by Dutch and UK staff before boarding the boat on way home and then again when we landed.

Obviously living in Kent I'm guessing you are looking at a short crossing. When I last checked the tunnel was undercutting the ferries. If you can travel along to Newhaven then prices are better, especially if over 60 but you have to phone in to get these lower prices.

The UK folks exodus to the continent for summers does seem to be on the up. In NL we where however the first Brits on site since pre Covid at our first two sites.

We found a noticeable hike in food costs and more so in fuel.

Colin

DavidKlyne replied on 01/03/2023 22:14

Posted on 01/03/2023 22:14

Just as an aside. Regardless of the new rules governing how much wine you can bring into the country is it actually worthwhile? Most UK supermarkets have periods of 25% off wine and you can get perfectly drinkable wine for £5/6 a bottle. I think on our last trip in 2016 we hardly bothered to bring that much back as I wasn't convinced it was worth the extra weight?

David

Lukeledge replied on 02/03/2023 07:56

Posted on 02/03/2023 07:56

We did a 3 week trip to South of France and Spain in Sept/Oct 2022, no problems getting over or back. Still good value eating out in France , especially set menus. We didn't bother bringing much wine back, but did bring a few bottles of Normandy cider, as we really liked it and it isn't easily available in Scotland 😀

Whittakerr replied on 02/03/2023 08:07

Posted on 02/03/2023 08:07

I did 6 weeks in France last year from late July to early September, yes, school holidays, using the Portsmouth - St Marlo route and had no problems at all, just a quick look in the caravan on the outbound journey which i thought a bit strange.

I have just booked similar dates for this year going Dover - Calais returning St Marlo - Portsmouth.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook