Hull to Rotterdam

nytourer replied on 28/04/2023 11:35

Posted on 28/04/2023 11:35

We used the Hull to Zeebrugge crossing many times in the past but latterly have taken the long drive to Portsmouth and back. This drive has become more onerous for us now (particularly the return journey back up to North Yorks). I would like to hear opinions/experiences of using the Hull to Rotterdam route. eg the ease of travel from the port and onward travel into eastern/central France. Thanks in advance.

replied on 28/04/2023 13:42

Posted on 28/04/2023 13:42

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

eribaMotters replied on 28/04/2023 14:44

Posted on 28/04/2023 14:44

What about a compromise and the Harwich to Hook of Holland crossing. We used the return leg of this last July for the first time and apart from the length of the crossing were pleased. It would appear to be a very good cost option on getting to the Continent.

Colin 

flatcoat replied on 28/04/2023 15:38

Posted on 28/04/2023 15:38

We use Hull Rotterdam at least once a year, travelling from West Yorkshire to Central Europe, usually Getmsny or Austria.   It saves that long drive to/from Dover which can be a drag. 

Wherenext replied on 28/04/2023 18:25

Posted on 28/04/2023 18:25

Both outward and homebound journeys on the Hull to Rotterdam ferry are evening ones and this means that I can leave home just after lunch from North Wales and the first time I put the steadies down will be well into Europe. The return allows me to be home by lunchtime as well.

Harwich, which I've used many times in the past means at least 2 nights stop to catch a morning ferry going out and at least 2 to get home.

Portsmouth would also mean at least 1 possibly 2 nights stop.

I don't mind stopping but for ease of starting my holiday the following day I would probably choose Hull-Rotterdam except for trips to Western France.

nytourer replied on 30/04/2023 18:43

Posted on 30/04/2023 18:43

Thank you ( David, Colin, Flatcoat and Where next) for your replies. We are only 100 miles from Hull so it is a bit of a no brainer as we are heading East this year via Metz but the cost is a bit eye watering. However on the plus side no night halts will be needed. Where have you usually made your first stop 'on the continent'

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Pam

replied on 30/04/2023 19:39

Posted on 30/04/2023 18:43 by nytourer

Thank you ( David, Colin, Flatcoat and Where next) for your replies. We are only 100 miles from Hull so it is a bit of a no brainer as we are heading East this year via Metz but the cost is a bit eye watering. However on the plus side no night halts will be needed. Where have you usually made your first stop 'on the continent'

Pam

Posted on 30/04/2023 19:39

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

eribaMotters replied on 30/04/2023 19:51

Posted on 30/04/2023 19:51

I just did a quick check on crossing prices via the club. One way, early July and it looks like the Hull crossing at over £340 is double the price of the Harwich crossing.

When we travelled back last year we had been staying at Vakantiepark Delftse Hout, an ACSI and C&MC site about 20 minutes from the port. The town was wonderful and the campsite very nice. You really do need to spend some time there and not use it as a one night stop. 

Upon landing we drove about 20 minutes to a CL where we stayed the night before our return trip to Merseyside. Brookcroft CL Camping is a perfectly serviceable site and ideal for the overnight stop. 

Colin

Wherenext replied on 01/05/2023 14:23

Posted on 01/05/2023 14:23

The answer is basically wherever you want to within whatever your daily travelling day is.

We've reached sites in Northern Germany, Eastern Netherlands, Western Germany, Belgium/Luxembourg border and Alsace on various trips. As EribaM mentioned above you could just start at Delft, a perfectly placed site with good amenities to see a lovely town, for a few days.

Hja replied on 01/05/2023 15:17

Posted on 30/04/2023 18:43 by nytourer

Pam

Posted on 01/05/2023 15:17

When regularly using that route with the caravan, if we were going to Germany we could easily get to Osnabrook (bad spelling). Depends where you are heading.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook