French Campsites

fatbelly replied on 11/02/2024 08:14

Posted on 11/02/2024 08:14

Hi All,

We're doing a 4 week tour of France in our Motorhome this July. We're planning a route down the western side of France starting in Calais travelling to Le Mans and then onwards towards the St Emillion area. Once we're set up we have no transport so hoping to find some lovely campsites preferably that have a village or good restaurant within walking distance. Although we would prefer to have a village nearby it's not an absolute must and we're open to any suggestions/recommendations that you may have. 

Thanks

replied on 11/02/2024 09:25

Posted on 11/02/2024 09:25

The user and all related content has been deleted

DavidKlyne replied on 11/02/2024 09:27

Posted on 11/02/2024 09:27

Assuming you would prefer campsites to Aires then its probably an idea to look for Municipal Campsites if you want to be nearer to a town or village. Someone will no doubt point you in the direction of a relatively new organisation that has concentrated on a sort of hybrid aire and they have taken over the running on quite a few municipals.

David

Edit:- I see WTG has provided you with a comprehensive list.

SteveL replied on 11/02/2024 10:11

Posted on 11/02/2024 10:11

A town rather than a village, however the municipal at La Flèche (which is not far off your route) is very nice.Information Here. Certainly worth a few days. It has a pool, walking / cycling along the Loir and nearby lakes, one of which has a nice beach. Although in the ACSI discount scheme, it finishes on the 1/7 and doesn’t start again until the back end of August. You can use the ACSI ID though, if you have one, which speeds things up when checking in.

eurortraveller replied on 11/02/2024 10:51

Posted on 11/02/2024 10:51

On the way from Calais to St Emilion I would start with two or three days in Paris - stopping at Camping Beau Village at Villiers  sur Orge. It’s about 12 miles south of the city and easily reached by looping round the east side of Paris on tne A86 autoroute. From the campsite  it’s walkable to an RER station for frequent trains into the city centre.

After that for the drive south from there I would work out which chateaux, cathedrals, gardens, historic places,  and so on that I would like to see and zig zag from one to another. There is always a campsite or an aire, isn’t there. 

Happy days.

replied on 11/02/2024 11:16

Posted on 11/02/2024 11:16

The user and all related content has been deleted
near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook