External screens when staying on an Aire Campingca

JaneandIan replied on 15/10/2018 08:35

Posted on 15/10/2018 08:35

Hi everyone 

It’s a small query but would value any thoughts. We’ve only really overnighted on Aires in the summer and haven’t needed to use our Silver Screens to stop condensation, though we use them regularly when on campsites. However we have planned a couple of trips in the months to come and wondered what folks do. I’ve seen many a comment that suggests the use of external screens would stop you moving off from the Aire quickly in case of emergency/problem, and yet surely heavy condensation (and frost) would give you the same problem.

Any words of wisdom from experience?

Thanks

Jane

young thomas replied on 15/10/2018 08:46

Posted on 15/10/2018 08:46

depends where the aire is....

in winter in the Alps they would be essential I'd think..

same time in Malaga, not necessary IMHO....

we don't even have any and don't miss them for our winter trips to Spain.

centre of France in Feb, again a different matter...

enjoy.

JaneandIan replied on 15/10/2018 08:52

Posted on 15/10/2018 08:46 by young thomas

depends where the aire is....

in winter in the Alps they would be essential I'd think..

same time in Malaga, not necessary IMHO....

we don't even have any and don't miss them for our winter trips to Spain.

centre of France in Feb, again a different matter...

enjoy.

Posted on 15/10/2018 08:52

Thanks BB.

One of our stops will be at the new Aire in Calais. We stayed at the campsite in late August and didn’t bother with our screens as it seemed quite temperate but had horrible amounts of condensation - probably due to the proximity of the sea. Interestingly we didn’t have the same issue at Cité Europe earlier the same month. I’m guessing that in the winter months this would definitely be an issue. I’m only asking as I’ve read so many times that using them isn’t a good idea in aires ...

peedee replied on 15/10/2018 09:19

Posted on 15/10/2018 09:19

For me it depends on how secure I feel in the Aire. I agree in the summer months even if the Aire feels secure I may not bother with the screen, it is one less thing to pack away on just a night stop. My advice in the winter months is seek out the Aires which are more secure or if you still feel uncomfortable about tying yourself down, use a campsite.

peedee

KeithandMargaret replied on 15/10/2018 09:42

Posted on 15/10/2018 09:42

If it's cold use the screen, it helps a little to keep the warmth in and cold out, and you'll probably notice most other Motorhomes will use theirs.

We don't use a screen at any time of year because we have a decent heater, rarely get condensation and the screen can take a long time to dry out when it's wet from overnight rain/fog/snow.

We've never had an emergency that has made us move very quickly but taking off a screen shouldn't take much longer than getting off levelling blocks, unhooking the EHU, swivelling the front chairs round, finding the keys and possibly getting dressed.

I know there's a belt and braces generation out there but too many worries spoil many a holiday.

The only panic we've ever had on an Aire was finding a Euro coin before the Boulangerie van left the site and potentially spoiling our petit déjeuner …....

young thomas replied on 15/10/2018 09:54

Posted on 15/10/2018 09:54

can't say we've ever felt 'I'll at ease' on any aire....we had a few kids on scooters tearing round for half an hour on one but not much different to a cc siteundecided

we have a thick, insulated blind that pulls down to keep the screen warm so haven't bothered with an external one....

JaneandIan replied on 15/10/2018 20:10

Posted on 15/10/2018 09:19 by peedee

For me it depends on how secure I feel in the Aire. I agree in the summer months even if the Aire feels secure I may not bother with the screen, it is one less thing to pack away on just a night stop. My advice in the winter months is seek out the Aires which are more secure or if you still feel uncomfortable about tying yourself down, use a campsite.

peedee

Posted on 15/10/2018 20:10

Hi Peedee

i see your point about heading for the more secure Aires. We will arrive in France  rather too late to use a site and so have the choice of Cité Europe or the new Aire near Camping Le Grand Gravelot. The latter has a barrier but that’s probably the main difference. Both have been pretty quiet from our past experience so I guess I’m fussing about nothing 🙄

On our return trip we will use the campsite as we will return to Calais rather earlier in the day.

Cheers

Jane

JaneandIan replied on 15/10/2018 20:17

Posted on 15/10/2018 09:42 by KeithandMargaret

If it's cold use the screen, it helps a little to keep the warmth in and cold out, and you'll probably notice most other Motorhomes will use theirs.

We don't use a screen at any time of year because we have a decent heater, rarely get condensation and the screen can take a long time to dry out when it's wet from overnight rain/fog/snow.

We've never had an emergency that has made us move very quickly but taking off a screen shouldn't take much longer than getting off levelling blocks, unhooking the EHU, swivelling the front chairs round, finding the keys and possibly getting dressed.

I know there's a belt and braces generation out there but too many worries spoil many a holiday.

The only panic we've ever had on an Aire was finding a Euro coin before the Boulangerie van left the site and potentially spoiling our petit déjeuner …....

Posted on 15/10/2018 20:17

Hi Keith and Margaret

I love your philosophy that too many worries spoil a holiday! You are quite right of course and I will pack those worries away and leave them at home, the better to enjoy our trip 😎

Thank you 

Jane

Wanderbirds replied on 16/10/2018 13:59

Posted on 16/10/2018 13:59

Hello Jane,

Another word of reassurance from us.  We’ve used aires/stellplatz etc for about fifteen years thoughout the year.  Though  our vans have always had internal concertina cab blinds we almost always use both internal and external insulated blinds if the temperature is set to drop below 0. (Picture at Aachen stellplatz for Christmas market).  We travel for 4 to 6 weeks at a time, 2 to3 times a year plus 2 to 3 weeks for the Christmas markets using a combination of Aires and campsites. In all that time we have moved once because we didn’t like the situation on an aire. Two young teenagers tried the distraction technique on us. One knocked on the habitation door whilst the other tried the passenger door (locked as always).  Statistically and from our experience you’re in much more danger driving to the aire or even crossing the car park at the hypermarket than staying on an aire but that doesn’t even enter our heads.

Our advice would be go with your gut feeling  - if you’re not sure about an aire move on.  Relax and have a great time.

brue replied on 16/10/2018 15:11

Posted on 16/10/2018 15:11

Hope you have a good time JaneandIan, we've never used screens on our van and we've camped in some low UK winter temperatures. With good heating you can keep the ambient inside temperature up at night which reduces condensation. We've got mostly blinds on all our windows and using curtains as well as blinds improves insulation. Just make sure you are prepared for icy or snowy conditions generally and watch out for water freezing up etc.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook