European visa information please

ScreenName882A124EEA replied on 09/05/2023 11:33

Posted on 09/05/2023 11:33

I would like to know if anyone can provide up to date information on the current visa requirements for traveliing by Motorhome through Europe.  My husband and I are looking to travel through France, Germany and into Italy but dont want any restrictions on how much time we spend travelling upto 1 year or longer.....can anyone provide information on who or where I can get clear information on what is required before we leave in October 2023....?

eurortraveller replied on 09/05/2023 12:09

Posted on 09/05/2023 12:09

I only know what I have read on line.

If your arrival in the EU Schengen area will be in France then your application for a long stay temporary visitor visa  is made to the French Consulate here in the UK.  The application form is completed on line using what they call a “wizard”. There is a fee of 99 euros, and it  will also need an appointment for interview at the Consulate.  The maximum stay in France with that visa is one year, but the visa also allows you to leaveFrance to spend 90 days in 180 days in other EU/ Schengen countries.

Complete freedom to roam for an unlimited time in every country does not seem to be legally possible. There is no long stay visa covering the whole of the EU and Schengen area.  Each country issues their own visas,

But contact the FrenchConsulate in London for information more accurate than I am giving you. 

Hja replied on 09/05/2023 13:07

Posted on 09/05/2023 13:07

If you go onto the Motorhome fun forum and search for French long term visa someone recently posted their experience of getting the visa. Of course it only applies to France.

I assume you mean you are wanting to avoid being caught up in the 90 Schengen restrictions.

ScreenNameFDD7775593 replied on 02/06/2023 14:53

Posted on 02/06/2023 14:53

Simply impossible, i think we can all blame Boris for that, but that's another story for another day!! -

As already said you can apply to extend you stay in France and that is it. Beyond the French borders you take your chances, as they say, whilst the balance of probabilities would suggest you won't get stopped, fined or even deported as now deemed an illegal immigrant, Italy for one is becoming quite wise to this and there are a number of documented cases, whereby UK individual(s) have simply been in the wrong place at the wrong time - meaning whilst the Carabinieri, Italian police have been conducting one of their many road side checks have also stopped UK registered vehicle(s) - reviewed the date in which they entered Europe, then taken according action - 'if over 90 days - an on the spot fine, can't pay take the motorhome away or both, at best a verbal warning to leave Italy at worse detained and deportation. 

Clearly some out there will be shouting cry wolf cry wolf - really?? - the Italians have enough on their plate, let alone Brit's who think it's OK to outstay their welcome, when they voted to leave Europe but please don't take my word, talk with the respective British Embassy and please come back with their response!! 

Lutz replied on 02/06/2023 15:13

Posted on 02/06/2023 15:13

My understanding is also that one would need separate visas for each country where one intends to stay longer than 90 days in any 180.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook