EU Pet Passport - UK to France

TolenoOwnerWales replied on 29/05/2024 12:52

Posted on 29/05/2024 12:52

Hi all - first post for a new member. 

We have just welcomed a new 4-legged member of the family from Romania (Dee) who has an EU Passport. We're planning on taking the motorhome (Toleno L) to France in September. We want to keep the EU Passport live therefore I believe any vaccines or boosters require to be undertaken in the EU. 

On the Sunday we are due to return her rabies vaccine expires so intending on obtaining both tapeworm treatment and rabies booster at the same time. 

Am I right in saying that: 

a) If its a first vaccination or vaccination as previous one has expired I'd need to wait 21 days following vaccination until I returned to UK

b) if its a booster to a vaccination that has not yet expired we will be able to travel immediately

c) As long as EU Pet Passport vaccinations etc. and info is up to date I won't have any requirements on leaving UK  

Thanks all - and happy motor-homing! 

Stuart

TobyLeeds replied on 12/06/2024 18:15

Posted on 12/06/2024 18:15

You are correct in your assumptions.

your rabies booster needs to be administered by an EU vet - make sure it does not expire otherwise you will have to start again (expensive).

you don’t need anything other than your up to date pet  passport to leave. French vets will willingly carry out the rabies and tapeworm at the same time for your return.

in April we had the 2nd 3 year rabies jab, tapeworm pill, our annual health check (which we would normally have had the same month in the UK) and his booster - cost 80€ !

just make sure the vet stamps and signs every page and enters the vaccine batch number and the correct date and time  for each. The more things you have done the more chance of errors - so everything needs to be triple checked before leaving the vets.

over the last 3 years we have travelled 6 times so I estimate we have “saved” £600 through having an EU passport.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook