EHIC card

MicknVal replied on 18/10/2022 16:30

Posted on 18/10/2022 16:30

Whilst on holiday in France in  July I had to purchase medication,roughly £70.00 Submitted all the paper work & receipts to EHIC ,they acknowledged by e-mail 1/8/22.Heard nothing for 2 months ,so E-mail sent to them.It now appears all the paper work is sent to France to see if I am eligible for any monies back.If the French people have to pay for the same items so do I.If it is free then it is free to me.What is the point of the EHIC card? The reply from EHIC came on 4/10 22.

SteveL replied on 18/10/2022 16:54

Posted on 18/10/2022 16:54

I understood that the EHIC or now GHIC covered you for medical treatments / medications that would normally be provided free to the citizens of the country you are visiting. That varies and some things / items are not provided free of charge. I would therefore have expected the response you received, but don’t think the time you have waited and still have to wait, acceptable. The point of the card is that it does cover you for a lot of things, just not all, and it shouldn’t be considered a replacement for health insurance.

replied on 18/10/2022 17:04

Posted on 18/10/2022 16:30 by MicknVal

Whilst on holiday in France in  July I had to purchase medication,roughly £70.00 Submitted all the paper work & receipts to EHIC ,they acknowledged by e-mail 1/8/22.Heard nothing for 2 months ,so E-mail sent to them.It now appears all the paper work is sent to France to see if I am eligible for any monies back.If the French people have to pay for the same items so do I.If it is free then it is free to me.What is the point of the EHIC card? The reply from EHIC came on 4/10 22.

Posted on 18/10/2022 17:04

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

eurortraveller replied on 18/10/2022 17:40

Posted on 18/10/2022 17:40

Micknval,  French citizens pay in full for prescription medication at the pharmacy and then can submit a claim for repayment from their health service.

They may only get repayment of 15% of the cost back if the drug prescribed is considered to give only mild benefits, but then there is a sliding scale of increasing amounts which will be repaid for drugs considered to give greater benefits, or up to 100% if considered to be essential for life. Every drug has a figure attached to it.  The average amount repaid in France is 65% of the prescription cost. 

Somewhere in France a clerk is checking your claim. Good luck.

DavidKlyne replied on 18/10/2022 21:07

Posted on 18/10/2022 21:07

I thought to make a claim in France for medical treatment you had to claim via the local Caisse Primaire d'Assurance Maladie in the area you were staying and they would send any money owing to you to your UK address? Medications usually have a peelable  vignette which you attach the the claim form or has it changed?

David

MicknVal replied on 19/10/2022 12:30

Posted on 19/10/2022 12:30

Dear [Deleted User User],thank you for your reply,Ihad read the info before &after the holiday,but it still should not taken this amount of time to let me know if I am to get any refund.

replied on 19/10/2022 14:45

Posted on 19/10/2022 12:30 by MicknVal

Dear Dorset diver,thank you for your reply,Ihad read the info before &after the holiday,but it still should not taken this amount of time to let me know if I am to get any refund.

Posted on 19/10/2022 14:45

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

vbfg replied on 19/10/2022 15:16

Posted on 18/10/2022 17:40 by eurortraveller

Micknval,  French citizens pay in full for prescription medication at the pharmacy and then can submit a claim for repayment from their health service.

They may only get repayment of 15% of the cost back if the drug prescribed is considered to give only mild benefits, but then there is a sliding scale of increasing amounts which will be repaid for drugs considered to give greater benefits, or up to 100% if considered to be essential for life. Every drug has a figure attached to it.  The average amount repaid in France is 65% of the prescription cost. 

Somewhere in France a clerk is checking your claim. Good luck.

Posted on 19/10/2022 15:16

It sounds like a very good system to me as so many people in the UK go to the doctors for a free prescription which they could obtain over the counter from a chemist, but simply don't want to pay for it.  

iansoady replied on 20/10/2022 09:41

Posted on 20/10/2022 09:41

You seem not to understand that most people have to pay a hefty sum (£9.35 per item)  for their prescriptions. Over the counter medicines such as paracetamol are far cheaper to buy direct. So I wonder where your information comes from.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook