Driving in the French Aples

chris23 replied on 15/10/2022 21:12

Posted on 15/10/2022 21:12

Does anyone know the rules for driving in The French Alpes at winter time?

Ive read a few websites and they seem to say the rules have recently changed particularly around snow chains?

Has anyone been recently and can they provide any information as to what I have to take and if Snow Socks are allowed as an alternative to snow chains?

I drive a Volvo XC90 which has LED head lights so I believe I don’t need to carry spare light bulbs? (As my car doesn’t have light bulbs).

I know I need things like hi vis jackets/tabard for each person in the car, warning triangle, car insurance, car documents,  I’ve already changed my number plates so they have the UK bit on them. What else am I missing?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks all

Wherenext replied on 15/10/2022 21:25

Posted on 15/10/2022 21:25

Go to European Campsites and Crossings  at the top of this forum page. Click on it and you can follow links to finding winter driving requirements via a download there.

I would normally copy and paste it for you but having some problems with my small android device tonight.

chris23 replied on 15/10/2022 21:32

Posted on 15/10/2022 21:32

Thanks for the point towards the link.

Doesn’t mention snow chains or snow socks though so does anyone have any information around the rules for these?

Wherenext replied on 15/10/2022 21:40

Posted on 15/10/2022 21:40

The driving regulations download does actually say that snow chains are not a legal requirement in France in winter. 

peedee replied on 16/10/2022 06:56

Posted on 16/10/2022 06:56

I recalI there have been recent changes in the rules so I  wouldn't trust what the Club web site says. A quick Google confirmed my suspicions. Check >this out< and Google for more supporting information e.g. from the RAC and AA.

peedee

chris23 replied on 16/10/2022 10:20

Posted on 16/10/2022 10:20

Thanks for the link and help. Looks like it’s either £400 snow chains πŸ‘Ž or £80 snow socks πŸ‘.

Just need to bottom out my headlights as Volvo have stated that as they are LED I don’t have to have spare bulbs and that they adjust automatically for driving on the right hand side of the road.

Wherenext replied on 16/10/2022 13:04

Posted on 16/10/2022 06:56 by peedee

I recalI there have been recent changes in the rules so I  wouldn't trust what the Club web site says. A quick Google confirmed my suspicions. Check >this out< and Google for more supporting information e.g. from the RAC and AA.

peedee

Posted on 16/10/2022 13:04

Brilliant!yell

Is there anything this club can do that is up to date and correct?

My apologies to Chris for sending him the wrong information.

Peedee, I'm going to report your post so that those numpties at EG can amend their own advice.

Edit - A copy of report post: 

SO THAT THE CAMC CLUB CAN AMEND THEIR INCORRECT INFORMATION ON THEIR ADVICE SHEETS!
This is dangerous, giving out advice that is against the law of the country concerned.
Why does it require a member of the club to correct you?
If you can't get it right then don't do it at all.

eurortraveller replied on 16/10/2022 15:10

Posted on 16/10/2022 10:20 by chris23

Thanks for the link and help. Looks like it’s either Β£400 snow chains πŸ‘Ž or Β£80 snow socks πŸ‘.

Just need to bottom out my headlights as Volvo have stated that as they are LED I don’t have to have spare bulbs and that they adjust automatically for driving on the right hand side of the road.

Posted on 16/10/2022 15:10

Is it worth it?  My grand daughter flew out to Bulgaria of all places early this year,  cheap flight, coach ride to the  mountains, decent warm accommodation. no need to shop or cook, lots of snow,  good skiing, and she didn’t catch covid.

peedee replied on 16/10/2022 15:40

Posted on 16/10/2022 15:40

Is there anything this club can do that is up to date and correct?

They used to be quite good at keeping us informed of changes in rules. There used to be an information column in the mag dedicated to such matters but that died when the research lady who largely produced it left EGH employment. Perhaps the fact the Club left the FICC hasn't helped either. In any event the Club is very very poor in keeping members informed of Continental rule changes.

I have started to wonder if the Clubs' Coninental tour guides are even worth buying these days what with all the Apps available to find sites and the availablity of information on the internet.

peedee

RedKite replied on 16/10/2022 18:47

Posted on 16/10/2022 18:47

New rules were introduced in 2021, but leeway has been given until this year.

Between 1 Nov and 31 March following year is designated 'winter'. In a lot of departements, around 48 at present, that are in mountainous regions, winter tyres are compulsory on all wheels for the winter period. Tyres must be marked M+S, or similar, (no they do not have to be purchased from Marks and Spencers). Equally acceptable is the 3PMSF, 3 peaks symbol. (Look it up). From 2024 tyres must have the 3PMSF symbol, with or without the M+S.

Some areas are designated as snow zones, they are marked with a special road sign. Look up B58 and B59 sign. Basically snow chains in a box, OR snow socks. These MUST be carried in the car in these zones, and fitted as required, they do not have to be fitted unless conditions warrant it. A minimum of 2 driving wheels (on the same axle) must be used, or all four wheels if required. (4X4 drivers will know all about diff locks etc).

As an example, in the Lot, we do not need winter tyres, but in the next departement, Aveyron, where we shop a lot, we do need them. We therefore have compliant all season tyres all year round to avoid swapping.

The rules apply to all cars, locals, visitors, etc.

The fines will be 135 euros for non compliance at the moment.

Headlights are an odd one. A cursory check does not require spare bulbs to be carried, but having a faulty light in an offence, so people carry spares to avoid being caught out. Haven't looked up the rules for bulbless headlights.

You do need a warning triangle, and reflective vests for all passengers, which MUST be accessible before getting out of the vehicle.

Be prepared for random breath testing, suspicion of drinking is not required here. We were checked about 500m from home. Also pay attention to 30KpH (20MpH) speed limits which are growing like a rash in towns and villages.

There are a lot of private speed check cars, with more being added. They are unmarked.

Priority to the right does still apply here, particularly in towns and villages, although quite a lot of side roads which would previously have priority are being marked 'give way' now. A secondary issue here is when the car in front of you suddenly slows down to let someone out, and you don't expect it.

The horn is not decorative here. Don't be shy.

On the open road, a few flashes from a car coming towards you often means that 'Le Flic' is down the road, check your speed.

Have a good trip.

chasncath replied on 17/10/2022 18:10

Posted on 17/10/2022 18:10

Snow socks are easier to fit and remove than chains. If you have to use them make sure you remove them and take them indoors when you reach your destination. If you leave them on overnight you'll never get them off again except with a chisel. Expect overnight temparatures down to -20c and day time rising to about -10C. make sure your windscreen washer fluid is suited to these temperatures.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook