Directions to French campsites

anne1954 replied on 02/06/2023 15:27

Posted on 02/06/2023 15:27

We are travelling to France next week and there are no longer directions to the campsites from camc either online or in print. These directions were excellent especially towing a caravan. We don’t have a sat nav and I don’t trust google as we have been sent down single track roads with the caravan. Also to make life even more difficult there are no French road maps available in shops or online this year ( no idea why). Can anyone recommend a good app that is suitable for towing a caravan in France?

SteveL replied on 02/06/2023 16:06

Posted on 02/06/2023 15:27 by anne1954

We are travelling to France next week and there are no longer directions to the campsites from camc either online or in print. These directions were excellent especially towing a caravan. We don’t have a sat nav and I don’t trust google as we have been sent down single track roads with the caravan. Also to make life even more difficult there are no French road maps available in shops or online this year ( no idea why). Can anyone recommend a good app that is suitable for towing a caravan in France?

Posted on 02/06/2023 16:06

The spiral bound A4 Michelin map book, which OH likes to use to check on the Sat nav, still seems to be available on Amazon. Re Google, I generally use it to check out the Sat Nav route. Any iffy bits can be quickly checked using street view, as can the approach to your sites, in France at least.

allanandjean replied on 03/06/2023 09:59

Posted on 03/06/2023 09:59

Hi, Well first off a quick look at Amazon shows plenty of motoring atlases available however, the other options include viaMichelin, Mappycom and Waze etc.

We use Google maps in conjunction with Streetview to plan not only routes but stops, refuelling etc. 

DavidKlyne replied on 03/06/2023 10:34

Posted on 03/06/2023 10:34

We toured for many years using a TomTom sat nav with the camper maps added. With the help of Archies POI's we navigated successfully to dozens of French campsites. Whilst the Club my not provide detailed instructions they do provide a map, albeit from Google. Is the issue general en route instructions or the more precise campsite arrival details? Assuming you know which campsites you will be staying at I would have thought Google Maps, zoomed in to get a large scale view of the final approaches and printed in advance would be best if you wanted paper Aide-mémoire. Agree with Peedee about Stanfords, wonderful shop and even better if you can get there in person, a sort of sweet shop for mapssmile

David

anne1954 replied on 03/06/2023 14:13

Posted on 03/06/2023 14:13

Thank you all very much for your prompt replies. I am sad that the camc no longer give detailed route to the campsites. However I have now managed to purchase a French road map for 2023 from Amazon.

AGOG replied on 11/06/2023 18:48

Posted on 11/06/2023 18:48

I also check any route on google and then zoom in on street view to check any possible awkward bits, junctions, zig zags etc and the final run in

eurortraveller replied on 11/06/2023 20:01

Posted on 11/06/2023 20:01

I was touring French campsites for 33 years before Google maps were introduced. It never seemed to be a problem. 

eribaMotters replied on 11/06/2023 21:16

Posted on 11/06/2023 21:16

Don't worry. Put co-ordinates into sat nav, look at via michelin for a guide on distance and time, check with a map to see if it's roughly correct then set off. 

In over 20 years of travelling to French sites the only glitches we've ever experienced are usually at the very end of our trip, when we have very occasionally been directed down a narrow access road.

Colin

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook